D,

Bottom line - build it where you live; and, with whatever adaptations needed to accomodate the project. I think it is best to avoid a remote location away from where you live because you never get as much time on task compared to living with your project.

A pal did it in a 1 stall garage.

Did mine in the attached garage(unheated) and basement (heated). Wings in the basement over winter; and, yes, I did measure the stairwell first so as to avoid the classical homebuilders conundrum. Since the overhead garage door was a cozy 9X7, I made a tail dolly when I got to the engine work. A trigear stands 8' (approx) at the tail so the tail has to come part way down while not letting the nose get too high so the prop (3 blade in this case) would catch the door. Garage was deep enough to fit the folded wings minus the wing tips. Did the painting out in the driveway, working around wind, temp, bugs and cottonwood crud.

You know, a 40X60 pole barn would be great, but if a guy doesn't have that, use what you have and adjust.

I will mention that if a person does fuel system testing in the driveway, particularily if you dig a hole for the nose wheel to measure usable fuel at that angle, might be a good idea to notify your local authorities and neighbors as to what you are up to as apparently some people in the world aren't accustomed to seeing an plane tail high in the driveway with the nosewheel in a hole. No need to ask how I know that.