Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Not scared of fabric anymore, progress.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Not scared of fabric anymore, progress.

Two weeks ago I put the project up for sale, when it came to covering I was worried about doing it myself having no experience. That being said it’s a lot easier than expected. For those of you considering Oratex a few suggestions. First start a fire or turn the heat up to 100 it will make the fabric considerably more playable second you can pull and yank on it as hard as you can it won’t break or rip that I have found so far to get the wrinkles out. Just like the old Detroits slam you hand in the door before working with the fabric. I am using cub yellow it is translucent and dull in luster. Hindsight I would not follow manual and start with rudder or smallest part I would recommend starting with the piece that doesn’t have any tight radius bends for example the belly or the wings. Did a test yesterday using scraps and gluing to a dummy rib I can not pull it off of the wood. After that test I’m considering not rib stiching but on the fence at this point in time. If considering oratex you will want the straight edge tape I purchased pinked the reason you still apply two coats of glue underneath the tape and the glue is visible im between the triangles.
    Attached Images Attached Images