Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 8" kitfox wheels on 1 1/4" axels

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 8" kitfox wheels on 1 1/4" axels

Hi all, recently I got a Kitfox built cabane style landing gear. It has the 1 1/4" aluminum axels. I could buy the 3/4" axels from grove and then my regular kitfox hubs and 8" wheels would work. A while back I saw someone with 3/4" axels on their kitfox break an axel, and it wasn't good. So I got to thinking, why not build hubs that can use 1 1/4" bearings so I can use the larger axels I have. I also didn't want to go buy expensive 6" wheels that fit the larger axels as well. I bought two pieces of 4" long 3" OD, 2" ID aluminum tube and some 4" x 1/2 thick aluminum cutoffs. So far, about $45 invested. Had some fun on the lathe, and now I'll take them to the welder, true them up on the lathe, press in the bearings, and drill the bolt holes for the wheel bolts. They should then be ready to go. Think it will work? JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images