Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox bush traiing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitfox bush traiing

After 20 years of building my Series 6, my first flight was in 2019 and since then I have flown 500 hours. A Kitfox is a brilliantly designed machine and flies like a dream. Anyone who has hours in a plane with similar landing gear configuration will do fine with a few days of transition training.

After about 200hrs in my Kitfox I did backcountry training thru Stick & Rudder in Idaho and found that I was driving my motorcycle like a bus. Nothing wrong with that really but I found I was missing out on a lot of fun. Immediately after taking that training, I shed my factory tires for 22" smooth tires and started having a blast. It was like a whole new world opened up for me being able to land almost anywhere. It's not just fun, I also found that the skills I learned in the backcountry helped me a lot better and safer pilot at paved airports.

After 500hrs in my Kitfox, I just took another two days backcountry training this week with Stick & Rudder in their 140hp Kitfox STI and it was crazy-fun. Landing at one-way strips. Landing where the approach in follows a river and you dont see the strip until the turn to final at 200' AGL. The biggest thing it did for me was give me confidence that I now know how to shop a field and decide if I can safely land, which direction is safest to land, and how to choose the all important abort point.

There are a number of great bush training programs but as far as I know, Stick & Rudder is the only one that uses the Kitfox. Regardless of who you do your bush training thru, I would highly recommend it to be able to get the maximum enjoyment out of your Kitfox.

Happy backcountry flying!

PS: I have no affiliation at all with Stick & Rudder other than being a happy repeat customer.

Photo of me on day 1 getting used to the STI before heading to the backcountry
    sawtooth-backcountry.jpg
    Last edited by 3kdscf; 05-03-2023 at 08:27 PM.