Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Matco Tailwheel setup properly

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Matco Tailwheel setup properly

So I hate to start another thread on this subject but I am battling a severe shimmy issue and I looking to see how others have successfully made the matco TW work properly.

I have the 8" single arm Pneumatic TW.

Basically I had a moderate shimmy after about 10-15 landings. The TW was slightly used when I installed it on my build, but in great shape. I went ahead and disassembled, cleaned and set the pre load. Did a few landings with no issues then I had a severe shimmy as if the TW was free castering, or the entire tail fell off the plane...... at that moment I felt that either was possible.

I contacted Matco and verified that the geometry was correct, and I was advised to tighten and preload the springs. I had run the springs a little looser on my previous plane with no issues and I set up my new plane the same way. Well after tightening and setting up as per Matco, that caused a whole new can of worms. Now the TW wouldn't break loose at full rudder deflection, and I noticed that the springs really pull hard on the rudder horns. I bought the 25 degree wings and installed them. After adjusting the wings (grinding) I got the TW set to where it breaks loose at full rudder defection, and both sides break with about the same amount of force.

So....on a saw horse, at full deflection of the rudder, there is slight resistance needed to break the TW into free caster. Maybe 3-5 pounds of force. On the ground, when I push the plane sideways, it is very easy to break the TW free into free caster. In addition, I can pull the plane by the prop and get the TW to break free just by pulling on one blade and pushing the other.

It seems to me like it's a bit too easy to break free? According Matco the spring preload increases the force needed to break the TW free, but I really don't like how hard it pulls on the rudder horns if I go any tighter.

I have a brand new 3 leaf spring from kitfox installed.
    The geometry is correct according to Matco and from what I see.
    I replaced the tire (haven't tried it with the new tire yet)
    Also replaced both sealed bearings in the TW. (one had a rough spot)

I am curious to know if others have had similar issues?

Curious if this is similar to how others have theirs set up?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jerrytex; 03-03-2023 at 07:33 PM.