Great write up Eric. It did take me an extra day to get out of Wichita and I wonder if I'd still be there waiting for the American Airlines connection.

Ferry flights across the country are one of my favorite things to do because I get to land places I would never see otherwise and meet some great people. The hotels, food and transportation become a bit of a Groundhog Day thing but you make the best of it. The trips never go as planned so you have to remain flexible, and this one was no exception. I've never failed to deliver the plane to its destination before so it was with some reservation the decision was made to terminate this flight where we did.

The plane is safely in a hangar at a jet center in the NE corner of Wichita, about 1/3 of the way to the intended destination. As I type this the weather is 400' overcast at ICT and along our proposed route it is mostly marginal VFR. The prediction was for worse conditions which was a big contributing factor in pulling the plug. We could possibly have made it further but having a persistent lane light without being able to diagnose the problem, and (no big surprise) finding a hangar to safely leave the plane made what we did the safe choice. Finding a place with a hangar and also at least a regional jet out of town is challenging.

Having Eric along was great. I was able to spend time using Foreflight and my Sentry to monitor weather ahead, make necessary changes to our routing, and also gave me time to play with the G3x. Not everything about it is intuitive but it is clearly a well thought out product with loads of features. We both grew tired of hearing "Ms Garmin" provide terrain warnings, and with the high winds on the ground the AoA/stall warning squeal was often continuous even when taxiing slowly. Some way to suppress that tone would be a nice feature. It may exist, we just didn't get that far.

Coming across Wyoming winds aloft were 70mph, most of it pushing us to 139mph over the ground. Thankfully we were headed eastbound otherwise we'd still be stuck in moderate turbulence and zero ground speed.

The scenery was amazing but my photos were not. Here are a few from the trip.
PXL_20221208_173444304-01.jpg
Montrose, CO where I met Eric so we could get rid of the rented car and fuel up.
PXL_20221208_194638797.jpg
Destination Rifle, CO
PXL_20221208_200038380-01.jpg
Steely eyed missile man Eric, aka "George"
PXL_20221208_230903818.jpg
Picking up a bit of tailwind somewhere near Medicine Bow
PXL_20221209_224950523.jpg
Catching up to the weather system we had been (slowly) chasing eastward. Emporia, KS is still about 30 miles away.
PXL_20221209_233953308.jpg
On the ground at Emporia. The guy at the FBO heard us on the CTAF and stayed late to set us up with a crew car.