Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: External alternator kit from Rotec Aerosport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: External alternator kit from Rotec Aerosport

1. "Does the "field" connection on their alternator allow its output to be turned OFF remotely?"
    2. "If so, is it connected to the alternator's actual field winding, or is it an ON/OFF control signal to the regulator?"

I have no idea. Did some fishing around and the consensus is that the Nippondenso alternators field goes to the windings but until you know for certain, you don't really know.
    Guess I'll just have to check it out after startup! Will post a reply when I have the results.

Agreed about the ammeter. I'll use the G3x to monitor its output.

Thanks for the insight, Eric!

"Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Default Re: External alternator kit from Rotec Aerosport

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Guess I'll just have to check it out after startup! Will post a reply when I have the results.
    Yes, please do! The answers will be useful to anyone considering an external alternator.

Unfortunately, on-engine testing can only answer question #1 if switching the "field" input turns the unit ON/OFF, but without asking Rotec or reverse engineering the unit, we can't answer #2.

You may know all of the following -- if so, I apologize -- but let me try to explain why the answer to my second question is so important.

1. If the "field" terminal is directly connected to one end of the field winding and the regulator controls the other end -or- if the "field" terminal supplies power to the regulator which controls both ends of the field winding, then an external switch, either manual or automatic, can shut down the alternator regardless of which component of the unit has failed.

2. However, if one end of the field winding is connected to the "B" terminal and the other end is controlled by the regulator -or- the regulator is powered from the "B" terminal and controls both ends of the field winding, -and- in either case the "field" terminal is an ON/OFF signal to the regulator, then there are regulator failure modes (e.g. short circuit of the field drive transistor) that can cause the regulator to apply maximum field current with no way to turn it off.

In paragraph 1, above, an external OVP circuit can trip the field breaker, ending the overvoltage event in a few tens of milliseconds.

In paragraph 2, neither an OVP circuit nor pilot switch action can stop it. With a failed regulator applying full field current sourced from the "B" terminal and the alternator spinning, it becomes self-sustaining and stopping its rotation is the only way shut it off.

Either of the examples in paragraph 1 is preferred, ideally with manual control of the field via a panel-mounted switch and an external OVP circuit. The examples in paragraph 2 aren't great choices for aircraft.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings