Received a call from the DPE, CFI-I check ride will be rescheduled he accidentally double booked himself. I decided to take a break and work on the plane instead. Multi Engine training begins next Thursday.

Prior to starting I spoke with another builder who has the Hoerner Style wing tip seeking advice or lessons learned while they had fitted their wingtip. I was advised to fit the wingtips before covering. Clamp straight edges to the wing to assist in alignment. Trim only the top first. Drill some temporary holes and cleco in place. If needed these holes can be patched later. After getting the top just right clamp and mark the bottom. Trim up the bottom rinse and repeat. It will take several fitting sessions to get things right. Then turn your focus to the trailing edge. Using a straight edge mark and trim.

Dry fit wing tip onto right wing using clamps. Noted interference of the forward spar tube with the wing tip. Used an 8 ft level as a straight edge placed across the top of the wing ribs. It appears I will need to compensate for a slight droop.

Dressed up the end of the spar tube to eliminate interference. Dry fit wingtip using clamps again. I am starting to get the feeling this will be another exceptionally tedious task if I am going to make this look right.

Following the advice received earlier in the day I will need to trim the topside first. I am thinking I could layout a pattern on the aluminum strip and drill No 40 pilot holes. After I get things trimmed, sanded, and fit I can use my angle drill attachment to back drill / match drill the wingtip from the inside. This would ensure I have proper edge margin on the aluminum. I would then bring the holes up to full size.

I am also wondering if the wingtip would benefit from using a countersunk washer and countersunk flat head screw to hold it in place. I believe the pressure would be better distributed but this may require a slightly wider aluminum strip to serve as the wingtip attachment point. I am open to feedback and suggestions.

Pictures to follow or click the link

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ShowMeFox