I've been working on mods to increase the speed of my bird while maintaining good off airport capability. One of the problems with that is the very light wing loading makes Kitfoxes very susceptible to turbulence. So in the summer time when we really want to go out and play we get the trash kicked out of us by turbulence.

The idea occurred to me that Kitfoxes are tailor made for a pitch damper. The flaperon control could theoretically have a servo linked to it and tied in with the rest of the autopilot system. As the system detects up or downdrafts it adjusts the flaperons very quickly to smooth out the bumps. Could also theoretically be useful as protection against over stressing the aircraft in a turn. If it senses your are about to pull too many g's it reflexes the flaperons to unload the wing.

I know Garmin has programming built in for yaw dampers (those seem to be more prevalent on rv's than kitfoxes), so maybe there is already programming for a pitch damper? Since their equipment is used on business jets that seems plausible.

I'm personally more of a homebrew guy myself so I'm wondering what is available in say the rc world that could be scaled up.

I have no idea if the kitfox flaperon system even has the range to be effective, but as someone who's head has been smashed into the ceiling by a strong down draft, the idea of something to smooth that out is appealing.