Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel Line Choices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Fuel Line Choices

Why not fuel injection hose? I am going to just repeat what the knowledgeable folks over on the Rotax-Owner.com forum have been recommending for quite a while now:

- For one thing fuel injection hose is totally unnecessary on a carbureted engine. Its pressure rating is way above what's required.

- Its high pressure rating also prevents it from taking as small a bend radius as the standard hose without kinking.

- The standard Gates Barricade hose will NOT let fuel vapor permeate thru it.

- Fuel injection hose has a harder, stiffer, inner lining (related to the pressure rating) that doesn't seal as well on barbed fittings. In fact high clamping pressure can cause the barbs to cut into the lining and small particles to break off the inner lining under the clamp and migrate downstream into your carburetor.

- This all being said, they say fuel injection hose is ok to use if you avoid sharp bends, and barbed fittings (use the smooth bulbed-end type or proper crimped ends), but why? There are no advantages.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

[Thanks for that input. On my other kitfox the Barricade did stop the fumes from coming through especially on a decent to land but the fuel injection hose solved it . I did use the existing barb fittings but maybe over time it would have started to leak.

My Newer 7 is now getting pretty fumy sitting in the hanger , I done find any leaks so the lines could be getting bad?

My method is to use aluminum tube for long runs in the cockpit. Then either use fittings or if need be put a bead on the end of the tube and use a short length of hose. A good low permeation hose is the marine A1-15. It is a little pricey but I don't need much.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    [Thanks for that input. On my other kitfox the Barricade did stop the fumes from coming through especially on a decent to land but the fuel injection hose solved it . I did use the existing barb fittings but maybe over time it would have started to leak.

My Newer 7 is now getting pretty fumy sitting in the hanger , I done find any leaks so the lines could be getting bad?
    Building a KF IV Classic