Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 48 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

I'm going to have to learn about this broomstick trick.

Does the STI wing use AN5 bolts on the flaperon brackets? I was sure my wings used AN3 there, but it's been a while since I did the initial fit up and drilled the ribs for the brackets.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I'm going to have to learn about this broomstick trick.

Does the STI wing use AN5 bolts on the flaperon brackets? I was sure my wings used AN3 there, but it's been a while since I did the initial fit up and drilled the ribs for the brackets.
    You take the two flaperon hinges that are used on the flaperon control horn assembly (before you do all the riveting and lock them in) and mount them on rib #1 and #3 brackets. Slide a broom stick through them and where they touch the turtle deck locates the site of the hole. Not my idea but it's sure better than any other way I saw. The flaperon bracket bolts are indeed AN3. I need the AN5 bolts for the taxi light bracket that I am attaching to the landing gear assembly. Pics to follow when I get the bolts.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Assembled and installed the horizontal stab and elevator on to the fuselage. Connected the trim motor scissors and tested it through the full range of nose up/nose down with no issues. Installed and riveted one side of the flaperon hinges on both wings. I'll do the other side once I install the flaperons themselves just to be sure they are all aligned (they were when I test fit them last year but you never know). Started looking closer at the glare shield install. This included a look at Harlan's video on his install and saw where he suggested making the clips a little longer making it easier to get the glare shield to engage them. I had already built the clips to the specs in the manual but decided that making them a little longer made some sense. So I fabricated them to be a quarter inch longer after the bend.

Trim Connection.JPGEmpennage 6.JPGFlaperon Hinge 1.JPGGlare Shield Clips.JPG

This one's for you Alex as my explanation of the hinge pivot I was using to hold the broom handle wasn't real clear.

Flaperon Loc 3.JPG
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

^Oh I understood your description. Friggin genius idea.

Am I the only builder installing the stab trim sensor? I'm curious if having it installed makes installation of the stab and elevator more difficult (I suspect it does).
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    ^Oh I understood your description. Friggin genius idea.

Am I the only builder installing the stab trim sensor? I'm curious if having it installed makes installation of the stab and elevator more difficult (I suspect it does).
    I have one in my parts cabinet… I have yet to install it

Same here. Sensor is on the shelf and the actuator tab is installed on the horizontal stab, but that's it so far.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

After fitting the turtle deck as a single piece on the fuselage and locating the flaperon feed thru holes, I marked out the hinge location and made the required cuts. Sanded the turtle deck edges smooth so there are no sharp edges anywhere on the deck. I had read that actually inserting the turtle deck into the hinge was a royal pain and as promised, it started out that way. My father's words came to me while fighting with the hinge; "A man cannot have enough clamps." So I laid two clamps (in the pic) down on the flat surface lengthwise under the turtle deck and then clamped a couple 2x4s over the top. The 2x4s were not clamped to the turtle deck anywhere but set at a level so that the deck could slide underneath them but kept the deck from flexing up and the hinge from buckling. Slowly added pressure to squeeze the deck with the lower clamps and the deck is now inserted into the hinge all the way.

Rolled the plane out of the shop, unfolded the wings and installed the flaperons. I had fitted these last winter when I first built them up so the installation had no surprises. Finished riveting the flaperon wing brackets to the wing. I installed the firewall feed through a couple days ago and filled it off with high temp RTV to seal it. The RTV set up so I installed the clenching ring and the hose clamp so that is complete.

Turtle Deck Clamps.JPGFlaperons.jpgPass Through.JPGFed Through 2.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Got the glare shield fitted in between the panel and the boot cowl/windshield. Looking at the possibility of putting in a stiffener in the middle laterally, between the panel and the brace tubes. There is a bit of 'oil canning' when I have it screwed down and think that might alleviate that. Finished up the turtle deck after getting the hinge installed. The plans call for a single aluminum brace across the deck at the hinge and I thought that a brace on each side of the hinge had some merit so I made another one and installed two braces. Fit the deck to the fuselage and installed all the Dzus fasteners. Last but not least I installed the "whisker' mod on the trim access panels. Think we have Jim Ott to thank for this one and think it will help keep that area back there a lot cleaner. Thanks Jim.

G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Gary,
    Where did you get the “whiskers” from?
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Mtkitfox View Post
    Gary,
    Where did you get the “whiskers” from?
    Brad
    Brad - McMaster Carr. Here's a link to Jim's original post where he provided part numbers and all.

Gary

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...-Slot-Closeout
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG