Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
I've also been trying to picture how that would work. As you say, gluing the tip attach strips to fabric doesn't sound like a good idea. However, I don't think having the fabric overlap the attach strips is a good idea either, as it would tend to form a wedge under the inside edge of the wing tip and the fabric would wear along that line.

I would be tempted to end the fabric with a clean cut at the outboard edge of the #10 cap strip. That would leave the underside of the cap strip clean for bonding and the fabric wouldn't foul the wingtip installation. If I do that, I see no reason not to install the strips before covering, and the fabric can hide the rivet line.
I looked at my pics and I wrapped the fabric around the side of the cap-strip of #10. I remember wondering about that but I recall that I sanded the epoxy varnish to roughen it up a little before applying the fabric and taking extra care to make a good glue bond of the fabric and then shrinking it so that it was good and flat against the underside of the cap-strip. I then bonded the aluminum with 3-M and rivets. I used nut plates for holding the wing tips on for reasons stated by Papua.

I don't know about cutting the fabric off. There's only 1" of surface on the cap-strip for bonding too. That idea crossed my mind but with the ironing of the fabric to shrink it, the idea of the strength of wrapping around the cap-strip was more appealing to me. With all the bonding and rivets holding the aluminum strips on, I don't feel concerned that the wing tips will go anywhere.