Dave said a lot of what I am thinking on this issue. 1.3 Vs0 is a slow as you should make your approaches safely. I suggest going up to altitude and set up the same configuration you have as you come over your obstacle, and get slow enough to stall it, many times until you can recognize the onset signs. Without VG’s you will get more notification buffeting. Note your attitude and indicated airspeed, cross check with ground speed by doing it in multiple directions. I recommend this because in a slip your airspeed indicator is unreliable so if you pay attention to your airspeed vs ground speed on approach you can determine your winds to some degree and then you can cross check your speeds. Now I am not going to tell you that I don’t go below 1.3, because I do, but I usually do it at the very end of the approach. I use 50 mph down to just shy of the flare. That gives you the energy to flare to stall without adding power, but you can flare to 45 add power and get a bit slower as you do a full stall landing. With my so called heavy Lycoming Kitfox 5 that will give me a consistent 200’ landing with no wind. Add some wind and it gets nice and short. The best thing you can do is every time you fly go up to altitude and do some stalls in landing configuration. Stall numbers one day will vary from another based on density altitude and aircraft loading, winds, turbulence, etc. So the more you practice the stalls the better you get at recognizing the onset and learn how to avoid pushing past that point.
Great question. Fly safe, practice often.

Project Kitfox