Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wait is Over

Default Re: The wait is over.

Update-
    Inventory completed.
    Controls fitted and installed.
    Push/pull tubes to elevator in.
    Flapperon/flaps mixer fitted and installed.
    Floor boards fitted, epoxy varnished and installed.
    Center console top with flap handle brackets in.
    Rudder cable pulleys installed minus cotter pin anti-derailers.
    Rudder pedal tubes fitted and installed.
    Rudder/Brake pedals installed pilot side only.
    Master cylinders pilot side only in.
    Rudder hanging.
    Seat placed but not fitted. For effect only.

Boring reading so far in list form but lots of hours (approx.45 so far).
    I got to the hangar after work yesterday and keep working until 2:30 am this morning. It was very quiet at DVT and the hangar was nice and cool to work in. Soon it won't be.
    Got 3.5 hours sleep, finished work by 2:30, got to hangar at 3 pm and just got home early tonight at 9:30. Just too much fun to stop. Sometimes lots of hours with little to show for progress but progress is being made.

So far the manual has been just great. Much improved since my model 4 building days. A testament to lots of hard work by the new owners to
    make building easier and no guessing what needs to be done and in what order. The quality of the parts are in a word, excellent.
    More photos here: Build Album.

P1110302.jpg

P1110308.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Steve looks to me like you are trying to keep up with Ross in OZ ,great progress so far . Keep it up and enjoy the journey, Bruce N199CL

That is great progress Steve! I have seen a couple of build photos now with the black (Vs white) powder coating - is this just an aesthetic choice or is there some other reasoning?? and my god! you have achieved all this in 45 hours! YOu must really know what you are doing! I also note that you started right in on the Fuselage - I wouldn't have had the confidence to vary from the manual sequence! - not that I think in hindsight it matters much. But the part I really get is the way these projects serve as such a motivation to put in the energy! Look forward to more details - I reckon you made it sound really easy with the list!! I have just got back from 2 weeks away and have come down with a terrible flue! Tried to get to the hanger today but could barley summons the energy to open the hanger doors - a few more days rest I think and then back into it! Keep it up - I had a look at your album photos too - they look good , although I agree with that the black makes it hard to see some of the details.

look forward to more progress reports soon.

cheers ross

Way to go DF4. Looking good!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Steve looks to me like you are trying to keep up with Ross in OZ ,great progress so far . Keep it up and enjoy the journey, Bruce N199CL
    I think he's trying to pass Ross! Keep up the good work, looking good. I can't imagine trying to go to work after 2.5 hours of sleep. I'd be just a little cranky. , and my wife would be a little , let's say put off because of my lack of sleep. However, with you being in Arizona you have got to work while you can. It does get a little warm in Arizona.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have seen a couple of build photos now with the black (Vs white) powder coating - is this just an aesthetic choice or is there some other reasoning??
    Ross- I went with black for a couple reasons. First, when I try to take photos or videos, I get reflections everywhere with the white. It also reflects when flying and looking for traffic. Also white shows every scratch, bit of dirt, grease and shoe scuffs from getting in and out of the cockpit. Not overwhelming reasons but after flying in Phil's with black I just noticed less reflections. I could have ordered the white and just painted the tubing in the cockpit area black but thought the black powder coating would hold up better than paint over powder coating.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm taking a couple days off over the weekend to let my carpal tunnel hands rest and spend a couple days at an airpark 120 miles west of Phoenix. Back at it next Monday.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    I'm taking a couple days off over the weekend to let my carpal tunnel hands rest and spend a couple days at an airpark 120 miles west of Phoenix. Back at it next Monday.
    Have a good weekend. I would bet you carpal tunnel tunnel is from too much flying, taking all of those amazing videos, and showing those tower controllers at Deer Valley DVT, how it is done. Have a great weekend.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I wish I had known the black was an option when I ordered my fox. The white is nice but I am partial to black for the reasons mentioned.

Thanks for your thoughts Steve. I am yet to experience the flight reflection issues you mention but can attest to the white showing up every small scratch! Maybe that isnt a bad thing though.

Hope the Carpel tunnel feels better soon.

cheers

ross

Another 20 hours building. Prepped and fitted all vertical stablizier and rudder ribs. Prepped and fitted all horizontal stabilizer ribs and scuffed tubing for final bond.
    Four horizontal ribs will be left un-bonded until the elevator ribs are in place. This will allow a little adjusting of the 4 ribs on the horizontal so they will then line up perfectly with the elevator ribs.

Have jury duty tomorrow or I'd be close by the end of the week to covering the horizontal and elevator.

P1110314.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear