Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvair in a Kitfox

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Corvair in a Kitfox

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for posting all the detail on your Corvair power project. What prop and diameter are you planning on to go with the Corvair?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Good luck with your install and keep us all posted on your progress. It is great to see something different!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for posting all the detail on your Corvair power project. What prop and diameter are you planning on to go with the Corvair?
    Thx av8r. I'm going to defer to the guys backing me up on this. We will be trying at least one warp drive two blade. John has a 68 so probably a 66 or 64. I don't want to double up until we know what the best combo is. We also intend to try a list of sensenich props based on what Dan thinks would work well on this plane. I don't know enough to make a good selection but SPA does. I will be posting numbers on all the combos as they come up.

The stats on this particular project are going to be some real solid numbers. Since no two aircraft are alike it is difficult to compare a rotax powered plane on my left with a nice interior and the latest in gadgetry with 29" tires, against an O235 powered aircraft on my right with wheel pants and bare bones all around. In this case we have an O200 aircraft with a weight and balance sheet, battery in the back, same interior, same panel, same tires. We take the O200 off and put the Corvair on and size up the numbers again. So since the O200 is tested and we have a performance sheet on it already. The pros and cons of this motor will stand on very solid ground since we will be posting the contrast against the same airframe.

Hello Matt
    I have been following you post about the Corvair engine with much interest. Just a question, do you plan on installing a fuel hand primer pump to help in the starting of the engine? and if you do will it inject the fuel into one or both intake tubes?
    Regards Joe

Hi joe. I'm just the dummy that decided to do this. I am using the O200 carb which has a primer on it. I will ask Joe at LSA and see if I can get a more precise answer.

Matt
    Good choice, tested and proven. It will be interesting to see the carb heat plumbing when your completed.
    regards Joe

As soon as we begin (December 18?) I will start posting pics. All of those issues will be addressed. This will be a direct conversion from an O200 to a corvair.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhetnall View Post
    Matt
    Good choice, tested and proven. It will be interesting to see the carb heat plumbing when your completed.
    regards Joe
    The original filter box will be used and the exhaust muff comes as a kit to be welded on site. I'll be posting this. The Corvair is very flat and the carb is in the back. A YouTube video titled "Corvair powered wagabond" shows my likely cowl mod required for this placement. For now I intend to do minimum changes to get in the air as close to original as possible. Later I hope to design a whole new cowl to accomidate the newer engine more properly. SPA provides a good nosebowl to get started with.

Engine assembly has begun. Joe at LSA aviation is starting to test fit pieces and is prepping for paint.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhetnall View Post
    Hello Matt
    I have been following you post about the Corvair engine with much interest. Just a question, do you plan on installing a fuel hand primer pump to help in the starting of the engine? and if you do will it inject the fuel into one or both intake tubes?
    Regards Joe
    I did get to see about how the priming situation while I was working. The O200 had a primer but the Corvair will be using the accelerator pump off the carb for priming.