Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Groove gear fairing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Groove gear fairing

On my Series 5 I knew I wasn't gonna be happy with the unfinished look of the gear under the fuse so during my build I fabricated this fiberglass fairing to reduce drag and give that area a more finished look. With the flex of that part of the gear during landing , it was important to leave that part open , so just front and aft are faired as you can see in the pics. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

"On my Series 5 I knew I wasn't gonna be happy with the unfinished look of the gear under the fuse so during my build I fabricated this fiberglass fairing to reduce drag and give that area a more finished look. With the flex of that part of the gear during landing , it was important to leave that part open , so just front and aft are faired as you can see in the pics. Bruce N199CL"

Wow! That's really nice! I like the look and its functionality.
    I'm sorry I didn't catch this detail before my plane was done Bruce, or I might have done something similar.

No matter which way you go Larry, if it helps to reduce some drag, that's a good thing! Just have to keep it as light weight as possible.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    On my Series 5 I knew I wasn't gonna be happy with the unfinished look of the gear under the fuse so during my build I fabricated this fiberglass fairing to reduce drag and give that area a more finished look. With the flex of that part of the gear during landing , it was important to leave that part open , so just front and aft are faired as you can see in the pics. Bruce N199CL
    yes that's what I'm thinking right there.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop