Quote Originally Posted by iflywhatevr View Post
Never swaged anything in my life this was my first attempt with the swaging tool in the builders tool kit. Instruction aren’t very detailed with pics but followed them to the letter and this is what I got. I guess I’m used to seeing the swages with the three much narrower crimps versus one that looks like this. This is for the adjustable rudder cables. How’s it look before I try to do any more.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I haven't seen "approved" swages done with a single wide crimp like that. I'm curious what "builders tool kit" the tool came from came from... Kitfox? Did it come with a gauge? Generally, a group of 2, 3 or 4 individual crimps are made, depending on cable diameter. I believe this may have to do, at least partially, with allowing the compressed sleeve material to flow properly between swages. That's also the reason the first swage made (in a group of three for instance) is the middle one, and there is definite spacing between crimps . I'm not saying yours is wrong, but just that I don't know. I do know that the Nicopress sleeves used with SS cable must be either tin-plated copper, or SS. Zinc-plated copper or aluminum are not allowed. I'm sure Kitfox knows this and they sell the right ones.