Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: dle's Oz Build

Default Re: dle's Oz Build

Thanks Carl, Bruce and Brian. We've trained the local Wombats to work while we're all asleep !. But seriously, this windshield, boot cowl, coaming and firewall assembly had been bothering me for some time because I could see how it was all inter-related. So I did a lot of reading of the manual, staring at the parts and reading other builder threads. Once you understand how the whole thing goes together, you can pre-empt what the downstream effect will be when you fit stuff together and it's not quite right. My first priority was making sure the boot cowl would mate against the windshield given that other builders seemed to have gapping there. I didn't want that so that took some juggling.

Gary, I have a separate angle that is notched which you then position to form to the profile of the boot cowl. The manual advises you to not match drill the angle to the firewall until you have the boot cowl in place. This allows you to match the cowl profile really well. So maybe you could make up a separate angle, notched to match the profile and then match drill ?

Ross and Eddie. So the curved back corners are required !. Blimey, as Eddie said, nothing the manual about that .... so I guess I need the heat gun again ... I actually thought this was just a manufacturing process effect.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hi fellow wombat master!

What's a little bend here or there!? In fact, now that you have mastered the bending of the back corners you could use the amount of curve as trim tabs to get it to fly straight and level......

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Ahhh, the secret is revealed!! I've often wondered why it takes so long to get anything done in WA and why it's known as 'Wait A-While'. Now I know.....no wombats

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    Ahhh, the secret is revealed!! I've often wondered why it takes so long to get anything done in WA and why it's known as 'Wait A-While'. Now I know.....no wombats
    I’ll have a quiet word to the Wombat union rep and see if he can’t arrange something for you ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

Where is Davids builders log located, I looked on this site photo logs, did not see it?

I surprised the Wombats can do so much work without leaving more scratches, and not having an opposable thumb should be slowing them down. Those buggers have some pretty gnarly looking front claws.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    Where is Davids builders log located, I looked on this site photo logs, did not see it?
    If you're talking about my reference earlier, I was just referring to this thread.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I surprised the Wombats can do so much work without leaving more scratches, and not having an opposable thumb should be slowing them down. Those buggers have some pretty gnarly looking front claws.
    My favourite Aus native animal. Tough as they come.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I could sure use a wombat right now. Im up against a wall on my electrical wiring. Im very slow to tackle this.
    Eddie

Wombats are more your mechanical engineers. For electrics you need 'roos

(They've got longer, thinner arms so they can reach further into the panels and looms)