Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Quote Originally Posted by Clark in AZ View Post
    Looks awesome Brian! We need high res pics of your panel.

Clark
    I installed it and then removed it, but when I have it out again, I'll get some good pictures.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Interesting that Rotax doesn't want the pumps on the firewall side. That's where I want high pressure fuel leaks!
    Me too Josh. The standard 914 pumps aren't as high pressure as your fuel injection pumps, but I didn't like the idea of having them under or behind the seat.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Re: Cowl fitting

Great build thread, thank you for the energy and time you put into it.
    I am VERY new to aviation, and was curious about the prop flange and spacing and why this is important and needs a jig of sorts to set it?

The tool isn't strictly necessary, and is not mentioned in the instructions. The spacing is important because you want an adequate amount of space between the back of your spinner and the front of the cowl, but not a huge gap. Ensuring the prop flange is well-centered in the cowl is partly cosmetic to ensure the line of the spinner matches the contour of the cowl. If it were severely off, the cowl could interfere with the prop.

I was waiting for my prop to do the cowls, and when I mentioned that to another forum member, he told me about this tool and let me borrow it. He got the idea from J. McBean. Apparently they use a similar tool on the factory LSAs.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Very cool, thank you for the info.

when I saw this post I was curious as to why my cowl went together so well without that tool. As you stated Brian, I had my prop spinner and spacer from the beginning so I had installed them to do the job. If you don't have those parts I suppose that explains the tool.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Default Weekly update

Mostly just a bunch of wiring and cowl bodywork this week. I have almost all the wiring done that I can do prior to installing the panel. I may be able to test the panel next weekend.

I seem to recall hearing about some of you who made your bool cowls removable. While I CAN access everything with the panel removed, some of it would be pretty miserable work if it needs replacement. For those of you that have done it, how did you do it, how did it turn out, and what pointers do you have?

I finished up my fuel pump box, and it turned out pretty good. It should be a very clean install of the fuel pumps.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I did my boot cowl wrong according to the manual. I placed the cowl onto the firewall and drilled small holes clean through the cowl and firewall flange. I enlarged them and installed the engine cowl fasteners. I wasn't supposed to install those before the window went in. I put the windshield on and it just so happened to work out beautifully. At that point the cowl was placed as it would be per the manual. I then removed the engine cowl and drilled small holes, I think I have number six machine screws, between each of the cowling fasteners. I recessed the holes I made in the boot cowl and have flush head screws.I used very small washers and crimped nuts on the engine side of the firewall flange. Came out great. The intent is to place a sealant on the boot cowl / firewall flange.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I don't have my manual for n front of me. Are your camloc fasteners installed only to the firewall, with a large through-hole in the boot cowl flange? If you have a picture or two you're willing to send...
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yes, camloc is riveted to firewall only. I am at work but should be able to text you a pic this eve.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X