Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Congratulations on the pace you’re setting Brian. It’s extraordinary. And that paint scheme will be eye catching.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Another orange Kitfox! Looking great!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Default Weekly Update

Decent progress this last week.

Both doors trimmed and fit. I was worried about this step for some reason, but it was pretty straightforward. I decided to use rivnuts instead of the acorn nuts. It's a really clean install. I still need to install the hinges, and I won't permanently mount the bubble doors until I paint the door frames.

Finished filling and sanding the door and window frames. It came out well despite the big gaps on initial fit up.

Fit up the baggage sack. I varnished the floorboard for it this morning. When I get back from travel, I'll paint it black and finish installing.

I didn't take any pictures of the butt rib closeouts, but I also got those installed this week. I have a small punch list of things to do before I'm ready to cover the fuselage. I have a lot of travel in the next few weeks, but I hope to be into covering the fuse by the beginning of July.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I recommend some lightweight carpet or fabric on the baggage sack floor. It helps keep stuff from sliding around too much. Of course you also need a cargo net or bungees for securing baggage. Put some tie down loops or similar in several places around the edges of the baggage floor.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Great Idea Jim. Thx
    Eddie

Eyebolts, and a motorcycle cargo net. Should be required as part of the install
    of the cargo compartment.

Default Weekly update

I was on travel most of the week, so I only got a few hours in. I did, however, have an opportunity to have dinner with fellow teamkitfoxer Eddie (efwd). It turns out we grew up in the same area, hung out at the same airport (CHD), worked at the same place, and we know a lot of the same people. It was fun to catch up. Thanks for dinner, Eddie. I hope we can do it again some time.

On the plane, I bonded in a mounting plate and bolted in my ADAHRS under/behind the pilot seat. I finished installing the baggage sack, and then folded it and tied it in place where it will stay for covering. I painted the door hinges and frames. I fabricated and installed aluminum plates to close the fore/aft cutouts in the butt ribs, and did the final assembly of the right side door with the VHB tape.

I didn't take any pictures though, so maybe I'll post some later. The VHB mounting tape is very gummy and sticky. If you were to take the backing off and try to fit the door, it is very likely you could get it stuck on the tape without the door plastic being in the correct position, and it's sticky enough that you could make a mess trying to re-position it. The workflow I used worked well, but in case it isn't obvious:

-Leave the backing on the VHB tape and loosely install the door to the frame with 3-4 screws such that you can still lift one edge of the door a 1/4 inch or so.
    -Using tweezers, peel off the backing paper under that one edge only.
    -Install the screws in that edge.
    -Remove whatever screws are necessary to lift the next edge enough to get the backing with tweezers.
    -Repeat with all edges.

This keeps the door position correctly defined as you sequentially get all the edges of the door pressed into the tape. Keep in mind that once that tape sticks to something, it's stuck.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Exactly the way I did it too. Yea that stuff grabs as soon as it touches; kind of like contact cement.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My pleasure Brian. Im sure we have some flying together in the future. It was almost comical to discover the connections we had. Even attending Embry-Riddle.
    I did the same on the doors but I didn't explain it as well in previous posts.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Dang. Fitting up the door to install the hinges and....

It just slipped out of my hand while clamping in place.

Very frustrated with myself. I'm going to try to repair it with some acrylic cement before ordering and fitting a new door. Dang dang dang.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS