Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Classic Model 4 1200 vs Model 5

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Classic Model 4 1200 vs Model 5

A 914 on a Model IV is probably a bit tight to fit under the cowl, but the weight is a minimal increase compared to the regular 912. So weight and balance would be no issue at all.

Lugging the engine to keep it from over speeding is also not an issue. I have flown 912 engines for hours at lower rpms, 1/3 to 1/2 throttle with no issues at all. A 914 would be no different. You can always throttle back if you are concerned about over speeding the airframe or you just want to fly slower and enjoy the scenery.

A 914 in a Model 4 on paper will have some astonishing numbers, and the performance might even be intimidating to some. But for many of us, that will just make it more fun! I still don't know if there ever has been an overpowered airplane (smile)

I grew up flying model airplanes, including RC. The scaling factor of model verses a real airplane simply doesn't compare. If one could build a real airplane like a model, assuming a 1/4 scale model Kitfox would weigh 15 pounds, then a full scale Kitfox would only weigh 60 pounds, which we know isn't possible. That is scale factor. So models end up with impossibly good power to weight ratios. Probably not telling you anything you didn't already know, but I explained all that for others that didn't.

Hmm? I wonder what would it take to get my Model 4 to hover???
    Last edited by av8rps; 01-16-2019 at 07:14 PM.