Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK builders - S5 to S7SS or sti ?

Default UK builders - S5 to S7SS or sti ?

I'd be very interested to hear if there are any S5 to S7 builders on the forum who are based in the UK ?

I'd like to build an S7sti, one of the hurdles being, is it on the LAA approved aircraft list?

There seems to be some confusion in the UK since all reference to the Kitfox is made by Mk. rather than Series, with the prefix being Denney or Skystar !

Is the Denney kitfox Mk 5, or indeed the Skystar Mk7 the same machine as the S5 or S7 ? If it's not the LAA will insist on a new "variant" approval which could be a long and intricate process.

Nothing is easy on this side of the pond, how I wish we had an "Experimental" category !

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: UK builders - S5 to S7SS or sti ?

The 5 and 7 are “basically” the same. There have been some improvements and modifications but they are physically the same size. The STi mods will fit a 5 (see Trent Palmer) and give similar performance.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Thank you Jeff, my question was more about the differences, if any, between the LAA UK Denney Kitfox Mk5/Skystar Mk7 and the S5 and S7 as referred to everywhere else in the world !
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Ratc

Ok I’m following you now. The S5, 6, and 7 were all originated under the Skystar company. The 5 in the mid 90’s, the 6 in 2000, and the 7 in 2002. So I would say the S5 and S7 are the same as Mk5 and Mk7. The big question is how your gov’t reps will perceive it! We all know how gov’t makes things better... 🤭
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Many thanks Jeff, I don't suppose you have a link to Kitfox history, in terms of model differences, series 5 to 7 ?

Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by ratc View Post
    Thank you Jeff, my question was more about the differences, if any, between the LAA UK Denney Kitfox Mk5/Skystar Mk7 and the S5 and S7 as referred to everywhere else in the world !
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Ratc
    Yes it's really just a matter of nomenclature i.e. the Mk 5 is the same as a Series 5, Mk 7 the same as a Series 7 etc. To quote the LAA which uses both terms.. Series and Mk...

"The Kitfox Series 7 is a higher-weight development of the earlier models 1 – 6, all of which are also LAA accepted types except for the Mk 6, there being no examples of the Mk 6 in the UK. The Series 7 has much greater in-flight stability than the earlier models 1-4."

The quote comes from this LAA article re the Series 7...

http://www.lightaircraftassociation....TFOX%20MK7.pdf

In Austria our Skystar built Mk 5 is known as a Series 5 on the official documentation such as the flight manual and C of A. I'd also mention that despite it being built and supplied by Skystar before that company went into receivership, the factory support from today's Kitfox LLC (John and Deborah McBean) is very good. It's a great plane.

"The Kitfox Series 7 is a higher-weight development of the earlier models 1 – 6

For clarification of this statement the model 5 (with some early exceptions), 6 and 7 are all 1550 gross weight airframes.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Auster/Jmodguy, fantastic information...........all very positive, just what I've been looking for ! I cannot thank you both enough.

At last, I can move forward with my ultimate goal of building a S7 sti here in the UK................Very happy !
    Last edited by ratc; 01-06-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratc View Post
    Auster/Jmodguy, fantastic information...........all very positive, just what I've been looking for ! I cannot thank you both enough.

At last, I can move forward with my ultimate goal of building a S7 sti here in the UK................Very happy !
    Wish you all the best on your adventure! Look out for an OE registered S5 at this year's LAA rally. Hoping to fly the Kitfox over.