Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: corrosion through powder coat

Default Re: corrosion through powder coat

My kit is new and I have found some pin holes in the welds that have some evidence of corrosion. What's the best way to deal with these?

Also its somewhat concerning to me that corrosion issues are so common, especially when I consider all of the powder coating that is removed intentionally during the build and then only protected by grease! Although Im sure Im overthinking it.

Joe, I was you in 1999 when I started building my Series 5 as a first time builder (read my previous post earlier in this thread.) Finding any corrosion on a new kit that I just paid a bundle for, was disheartening and disappointing , however I quickly found out that this was just going to be part of the build process as anomalies in other areas followed that had to be dealt with. As you continue the process , your confidence will build and you will simply handle these situations as they confront you. There is lots of help here as you are finding out, and problems that you are encountering have happened with all of our builds. As far as this one is concerned, inspect every inch of your airframe and every weld with good lighting and fix every problem area now. I had some large,under powder coat corrosion issues that required complete removal and a total redo with epoxy prime and paint,and other smaller areas (probably like you have seen around your welds) that I just sanded to bare metal and touched up painted. I have been flying mine now for coming up on 16 years and I have not found any corrosion issues during inspections. Bruce N199CL

Grease is better corrosion protection than you might think. Especially if there is nothing tending to wipe it off. Even a rotating joint wipes the grease back and forth, but it tends to stay on the surfaces for a long time-think of all the wheel bearings/journals that are just greased bare metal.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The good news is that after further inspection throughout the fuselage and engine mount, I did not discover any additional corrosion. So the areas I mentioned at the start of this thread are at least easy to get to.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Bruce and Jim, thanks for the replies. Good to have some reassurance. Still learning....

I completely removed all the powder coat from my control column torque tube where it sits in the nylon bushing and put some grease on it. 5 years later zero corrosion.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Josh as you know that was my main place of concern! Thanks