Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual latch pin door handles.

Default Dual latch pin door handles.

Gentlemen

Back in the summer of 2017 I went to the factory flyin and had the privilege of checking out the beautiful green and black Speedster N157KS up close. That was the first time I saw the dual latch door latches.
    When I ordered my kit I had to have that option. It was a new option at the time.
    I’m approaching the point in my build of installing the doors and have been searching for instructions for the door latch installation. Can’t find anything. Too late in the day to call Kitfox.
    Has anyone out there installed these?
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Default Re: Dual latch pin door handles.

I haven't but I know the factory has the instructions, and will email them.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I moved my single door latch forward so it was about 1/3 from the front 2/3 from the back. It doesn't move during flight up to 140MPH
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Update on this, I must have inadvertently hit my door latch with my knee and opened my door in flight at 125MPH. It twisted my door frame. I'm now going to order the double door latch as well.

Not sure if I should try to twist my door frame back the right way or if I risk cracking the acrylic
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Is the acrylic riveted or screwed to the frame?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Screwed but 3M automotive trim tape under the acrylic as per the instructions...It aint coming off...

For anyone who has ordered the dual pin latch, can you retrofit it into an existing frame and is it keyed?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

[QUOTE=Esser;80877]Update on this, I must have inadvertently hit my door latch with my knee and opened my door in flight at 125MPH. It twisted my door frame.

What did it do to your seat upholstery? Wow, that must have woke you right up! Got the adrenaline flowing no doubt. I've put a second latch on all my plane doors. I'll try to find a picture. JImChuk

Well it definitely woke me up! The upholstery is ok! Everything stayed in my pants I think it actually would have been some what ok if I had opened the door and slowly opened it. This was the wind grabbing a corner and YANKING it open. Once it was open it oscillated up and down an inch but nothing crazy.

The door now doesn't sit flush like it used to. I can stick a pencil through the backside when the front is closed flush. I can pull it tight but it won't stay that way. So I'm thinking with a double latch I can pull it tight and latch it. Alternatively I'm thinking I MIGHT be able to twist it back but Im worried about the acrylic cracking..especially since it's fairly cold right now
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I looked through some of my pictures, and didn't find a good one. This one is looking at it from the bottom of the door. It's from my Avid Flyer. They use a latch like an old time screen door that goes into the plate with the round hole. What I did for a second latch is cut an L shaped piece of aluminum that would act as a second latch. The top of the L has a small wooden handle to grab onto, the bottom of the forward part of the L pivots down and ends up being inside the fuselage door frame. A bolt goes through the bottom of the door and through the back lower part of the L so it pivots. The latch is positioned so it is just in front of the seat truss, which acts as a stop to keep the L from pivoting to far. Friction keeps it in position when you open the door. Because I widened my fuselage at the door area, I had to move the latch in a bit which is why you see it bolted to an angel piece of steel which is welded to the door frame. Hope that all makes sense... Remember, this is looking at the bottom of the door. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the picture and the explanation. I have a design in my head for a more positive lock. But I am going to see in the new year what Kitfox setup looks like. It's probably more well thought out than what's in my wind but it is expensive. I'm at the point now where I want to fly instead of design something though!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3