Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual latch pin door handles.

Default Re: Dual latch pin door handles.

I would suggest taking the door off the fuse (quite easy to do), take it home and warm it up, take all the screws out, and then try tweaking it back into shape. Hopefully the warm 3M tape will let it move some without applying any concentrated stress. Just a thought.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

That’s probably what I’ll do Jim. I made Pins for my hinges that you can pop out with your bare hands.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Take the door assembly off the plane.

Remove the screws of course. The double side tape is adhering to the frame and the acrylic? Use a plastic scraper between the tape and the metal frame to break the adhersion of the tape to the frame.

Then remove the acrylic and straighten the frame.

Clean the acrylic of the tape and Reinstall the acrylic. The acrylic is more resilient than you realize.

My knees can't come anywhere close to the latches on my doors. That being said, I was doing about 110 mph when my passenger door flew open... no discernible distortion, and I was able to reach over and close it. I found that my latches would slowly creep forward because they were just adjusted too loosely. Tightened up a little now, they show no tendency to move in flight from normal vibration. Some type of positive lock is probably a good idea.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I wonder how a piece of fishing line pulled through would work to get tape loose.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    My knees can't come anywhere close to the latches on my doors. That being said, I was doing about 110 mph when my passenger door flew open... no discernible distortion, and I was able to reach over and close it.
    You're probably right John now that I'm thinking about it..might have vibrated open as my knee can't hit it

As far as the fishing line, I actually loathe the thought of taking the 3M tape off. I did that on my fuel car fairings this summer and it was almost a 1 hour job cleaning up the 3M tape on that tiny surface.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Did you try using a product called "Goof Off"? You can use a isopropanol alcohol too.

Man, that doesn't sound pleasant. Down right startling I bet. My latch is pretty tight since my Stainless steal door trim is so wide. Considered loosening the latch up, until now.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I actually would have kept mine tighter but I couldn’t “unlock it” with out it unthreading. I might have to install a set screw in there or something.

Even with MEK removing the 3M tape is difficult.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

3M makes a product that is "general adhesive remover" and honestly Goof Off works better.

It's not that hard to get tape and adhesives off acrylic with it. Some use acetone to clean plastic too.

There is a citrus cleaner that actually does work great I just cannot remember the name, we have some at work and I can check and see if I have more left for the name.