Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: What is the “highest” HP someone has put into a Kitfox?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: What is the “highest” HP someone has put into a Kitfox?

One more thing to put into the fire. I would really like to do more with my kitfox but I feel limited. Why? there is nobody in my area that likes to fly like me. LOW AND SLOW. What you say, yup, most people want to go up to 2k above ground. no fun up there. I like to fly in the boonies and fly low and canyon run. haven't found anybody that likes that here. So you may aspire to fly like trent, but having a wing man I feel is very important. why? if there is trouble, there is a person to cover your back. I fly to small airports in the mountains, but I don't really like it by myself. wish I had a wing man.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Regarding Kitfox "acro" rating, yes the factory says not rated for aerobatics, but the SS7 IS rated for +4, -2 g's. So if you keep it within these limits the airplane doesn't know or care whether you are doing "acro" or not.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

This summer I installed an O-360 J2A heli engine in my standard wing model 5. It's equipped with SDS ignition and fuel injection. I could very well be the high HP winner! It replaced my previous O-235 because I got a deal that I couldn't refuse. Depending on who you talk to this 360 is from 25 to 40 lbs. lighter than the standard aircraft 360.
    I'm still in the experimental stage and I don't feel the 72" prop I am currently using gives me maximum performance. Having said that, it is easy to get up to Vne in level flight if you don't care about fuel consumption. This does present problems during the break-in phase where you want to run the engine hard!
    Performance wise I see about 1700 fpm at 80mph and take off in about 350 ft.
    My empty weight is 1010 lbs.
    Jim Corner
    KF2 582 1150 hrs
    KF5 O-360 1150 hrs

I have a KF5 with an an IO-340 and the FlyEFII system, cold air sump and a Whirlwind GA-200 STOL prop. Hope to fly in the spring... yeah right...
    I'll be staying with the standard wing. I am considering fenced wingtips and a fence on the wing like the STi. I have the winter to get my composite work done.

Would like to hear more performance specs from Kitfoxjim!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF