Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flap lever detent design

Default Flap lever detent design

Hello all , I have a KF iv 1200 Classic and would like a more positive flap lever detent system, I have a Teflon plate with groves at three points which is more a visual guide, if anyone has a proven design I would appreciate it as there’s no point in me re-designing the wheel.
    Thanks all .
    Iain (Scotland)

Default Re: Flap lever detent design

I will get more pics since this one is from before I added the locking mechanism, but there is a spring loaded rod going through the flap handle with a small bolt coming out the side that locks into detents formed into the radius of the bracket shown in the pic. I'll get some more pics tonight.

My flap handle mod. Including an extension and gate. I have a trim tab on the elevator so trimming with the flapperons is not needed.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Ok, pics aren't much better, but I'll try to explain...

There is an oval hole in the side of flap lever tube at location where detent catch bolt protrudes. A compression spring is placed under the dowel that is slid into the flap lever tube(with the catch bolt screwed into it through the oval hole after the dowel is slid into the flap lever tube). Then, when you push down on the dowel it slides within the flap lever tube and the bolt coming out the side goes down and springs up when you let go. This bolt engages the detents shown at the bottom of the bracket. You would bolt the bracket on first and use the flap lever to mark out the radius you will need before doing anything else. The round handle at the top(in pic from previous post)is just for looks. First picture shows the dowel being pushed down to disengage the detent. Second pic shows it engaged. Third pic shows the stop to prevent from going too far forward and I have only drilled a half flaps and a full flaps detent. You can pick your own intervals of course.

Hi all,
    Thanks for your prompt and constructive replies , the one with the positive detents is good but I also like the extended lever with detents as I have short arms,
    Thank you all again.
    Iain D