Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake issues

Default Brake issues

Hey everyone, just getting ready for my first flight and I’m not liking my braking action. My brakes don’t hold over 3750RPM. I’ve bled them thoroughly and they feel stiffish. I’ve conditioned them by tacking around for 10 min at about 70% braking power.

I’m wondering if I need to keep condition, if I glazed the rotors, if I need to bleed more even though I don’t see any air in the system and I’ve bled a few times, do I need to switch to braided lines? I have the double piston groves. Not sure the part number but came with the kit in 2012
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Brake issues

few thoughts Josh, one, maybe you need to taxi around and have some brake on to burn them in. second, if you can still stop the plane I wouldn't worry too much about needing them on landing, just go over the numbers at 50mph and stall land 3 point the airplane, shouldn't need the brakes at all, main thing is for both sides to be equal. if you think you have air in the lines, try pushing fluid from the caliper to the brake pedal. you can use a squirt can with red fluid in it and hook to the bleeder and squirt away until it comes out the units at the pedals. hope this helps.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I actually filled my system from the caliper up, I’ve also conditioned the brakes taxiing around for 10 minutes. Maybe I need to do it longer. I’m slightly concerned because I have a free catering tail wheel and brakes are my only way to steer
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

are you judging your brakes on a power brake or are you judging them on taxi. I would be more concerned with taxi and how they work. stopping from lets say 15 or 20mph over holding the plane on a power run. the tail wheel, I'm not a fan of free castering, if you get a bad cross wind on taxi, you will, how do I say it, have a bunch of fun...not
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

one more thing, if you went too much on a run and try to brake in the pads you might have gone too far and glazed the lining. the only way to take care of that is to take the lining off and flat sand the lining with sand paper on a flat surface. than just put them on and use them. don't taxi and burn again. if you know what I mean. generally when I put new pads on I just do a few stops and lightly apply the brakes while taxi only. hope this helps
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Don't you have huge tires? 26 inch right, with the wheels provided by Kitfox? Does that not limit the effectiveness of the brakes?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I don't know about that one, I had 22 on mine and went to 27.5 and my brakes work just fine. ha, the older matco single to boot.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Josh,

have you tried using the hand brake to test the power hold? I find it easier to get more pressure on them that way - other than that, I agree with the others about not being too concerned about the stopping power and more concerned with effective taxiing.

Waht ever you do, hurry up will you - we are all waiting!!!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Well put it this way, when I’m taxiing I feel like I have maybe 25% the braking power as I should. I’m going to try and set the pads some more. If that doesn’t work, maybe I glazed them, in that case, I’ll sand and see what happens. Thanks for the input!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

To break in Cleveland brake pads requires a fast taxi and hard braking to generate heat. If not done properly the result is ineffective brakes. Check the procedure for your brake pads. Just taxing will hot generate the necessary heat to break in some pads.

Ralph