Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bringing a Model 1 back to life

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bringing a Model 1 back to life

I’m considering my options on the engine. Now that I’ve had a better chance to look at it, it looks like the pto side bearing spun in the case, at least a little. I just posted my first awful youtube video, looking at it. https://youtu.be/dQWpNY1JKvk
    I did order bearings, the three outers, but they won’t be in for a couple weeks. I think the center bearings are 6206, same as the pto side. I couldn’t find a reman provision 4 crank. Of course, I might end up needing a crankcase. Better go dual ignition if I end up doing that. I’m going to get a professional opinion on the crankcase. It’s really not that bad. I do think the bearings should be loctited in place, to prevent things like this.
    Rotax Rick responded to my email about servicing the crank. He has been good about responding quickly to my emails. He quoted $150, plus shipping, to do the outer bearings and make sure it’s true. He uses aftermarket bearings with a slightly smaller o-ring groove, and recommended Permatex Ultra Gray sealant to stick the bearings in place, rather than trusting the o-ring. Now I need to see about doing center bearings. Might as well do pins and rod bearings while I’m at it. That is, if the crankcase is usable. The bearing that appears to have spun is the largest one, the only one with an o-ring on it, as per my manuals, and the only main bearing with no noticable play in it. The provision 8 motors have all of the bearings of that same larger size.
    A bit more of a project than I bargained for, but I’m still happy with it.
    Last edited by Good old number 29; 09-12-2018 at 04:39 PM.