Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: PROs and CONs of Engine Choices

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: PROs and CONs of Engine Choices

The max continuous HP is 80, can you provide any documentation that shows differently?

http://www.continentalmotors.aero/up...ons_Manual.pdf

If you can show me how this engine burns 10gph to make 60 (75%) I will avoid it.

But these engines are also not sold as a normally aspirated, mags, fixed pitch so that is what you call a straw-man. I am talking about EFI, electronic ignition engine.

Feel free to show me a normally aspirated, mags, fixed pitch x340 if I have missed it and I wouldn't buy one.

But I agree we are at in impasse. IIRC the x340 doesn't even have the gears to run a mags if you wanted to which is one of the reasons why it is ~20lbs lighter than a o320.

But I will concede if you want to continuously produce the max power or near that power with this engine it will be north of 10GPH. But you would probably want to also consider a far more aerodynamic airplane if you want the modest increases in speed doing so would offer on a kitfox.

But you can hit 5-6 gallons per hour at the 80 hp cruise but that will depend on what landing gear, tires and loading and other drag rate.

80 hp cruise will be ~76% of the speed of max power as it is the cube root of 80/180.

As a rough estimation a 120mph full out 180HP max cruise speed would give you around 90mph at 5-6 gph if you have electronic ignition.
    Last edited by nyrikki; 09-13-2018 at 09:55 PM.