Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A newcomers questions

Default Re: A newcomers questions

Hey Benjam,

Understand your point ... I was really just trying to encourage you to go for it. If you do take the plunge, I will be first to support you - I'm in Bris fairly often and am sure we can arrange for you to have trial fly in mine if you want to before committing. I'm down at Mt Beauty but that is a lot closer than Boise which is where I went to look and test fly! I built mine in a 12m x 15m hanger which was a luxury I know, but Dave down in Melb (Moama build) is doing his in a smaller shed and Ben in Sale has had space issues and made a great spray booth out of a sea container. I think the message is that as long as you can find enough space for the length of the fuse and the wings, you will manage somehow.

Honestly, you only need fairly average skills (mine were/are VERY average!) because the manual, factory support and the team here are not only knowledgable but generous with their help. As Esser has said (come on josh, fly the bloody thing!) , you'll make mistakes, but rarely are the mistakes fatal! I just don't necessarily agree with him that you wont make the same mistake again!!! I know that for a fact....

Anyway Benjam, you're welcome for a look and to go for a fly with me if you can get down my way. Best wishes for the project.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Smile Re: A newcomers questions

Cheers Ross... I might just take you up on that! There is another guy up here also talking about taking on this build/project. He might wish to come down too. Is that doable?

We were talking about taking the pilgrimage to OSHKOSH next year to check it out over there too.

Currently, I own and fly a Hughes Lightwing 912s. It is serviced by an experienced L2. The Lightwing has weight restrictions which the Kitfox does not have, which is why I am thinking about this change.

At any rate it is an exciting prospect.

Yep, very doable. Happy to help. Send me an email with what you have in mind.

ross@imaginecgi.com

Howy Hughes used ot build his machines next to where we build a yacht in Ballina years ago - he was a chrtacter!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Quote Originally Posted by benjam View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

My 6x4m shed is the last resort if I am unable to source a better option.

cheers.
    If your 6x4m shed is walking distance from your house, it's a better option than a space three times that size that you have to travel to. If you find more space away from home, use it to store things, and do the active construction as close to home as possible. I have built the majority of my plane so far in spare time at home. I put an hour or two of build time in every day before work. If I had to get in a car to get to the plane, I'd be hundreds of hours behind where I am now.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

G’day Ben, hope you take up the build. As Ross said, I’m building mine in a shed about 6m x 7m but it could be built in the size you’re talking about. But as Brian said, you can store parts you’ve finished in other places such as the garden shed, under the house if you feel the need or even in the lounge room .... yep, I’ve even done that but the sounds of silence from my better half were deafening !!. If you have mates with a decent shed or garage, that helps. Must say it would be great for us Mexicans to have yet another KF builder in the country and you’ll get all the advice you need from me, Ross and Ben (the other one). Go for it.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Yes I am starting to think that the 6x4 back shed might just be the go.

I could do each component and then store else where as suggested, especially if I do the fire wall forward a lot further down the track.

The momentum is building...

Ross, won't be for a few months as I am currently grounded with a frozen shoulder. I will keep you posted. cheers.

You'd be surprised how neat a prebuilt wing looks hanging from the ceiling. I have an aviation theme in my house and considered hanging my wing from my living room ceiling. I hung them flat against the garage ceiling and everyone agreed that it would look great in the living room. Of course that was before varnish and primer.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by benjam View Post
    Ross, won't be for a few months as I am currently grounded with a frozen shoulder. I will keep you posted. cheers.
    No worries - you have my email. look forward to catching up some time and hope the shoulder is getting better.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Keep us posted on the build. Curious on how well it will work for you.