Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewall insulation?

Default Firewall insulation?

From photos I have seen, it seems firewall insulation was common/standard on the model IV. I've seen some series V5-7 with firewall insulation, but most appear not to have any. I was chatting with a tech counselor at an EAA meeting tonight, and he put it in my head that I was going to die a terrible death with my feet on fire if I don't insulate my firewall and ditch the grommets for fireproof firewall feedthroughs for $60/pop.

I found a couple old threads on this, but I was curious if you guys are insulating, what you're using and how you're using it, and for those that aren't, why not?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Re: Firewall insulation?

I have an older firewall with the original blanket on it. Over the years, it has accumulated spilled oil or cleaning agents or whatever and now just looks shoddy.
    There are a couple of tears in the fabric that have allowed water or soap or spilled oil during an oil change to seep into the batting. I cant get it clean without removing it and that will be when I take the engine off the plane. NOT.
    I really do wish I had a bare firewall so I could see any spray from fluid of any type and clean it to trace the source.
    Just my two cents and probably not worth much if anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian, the stainless steel firewall is the first line of defence but it's the cutout for cables and wires that causes a potential problem. What I'm doing is attaching flanged stainless steel bushes with s/s pop rivets, and coating the saying surface with a high temp resistant cement. The cables and wires that go through the bush will be sheathed in a fire resistant tubing and any gaps filled with fire resistant cement.

I suspect what you EAA TC was talking about was if you were using rubber grommets. In that case, in the event of a fire, your toes might get a little toast ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

My firewall was bare when I bought the plane ( except for carpet inside). I used Lizard Skin ceramic coating on the inside and it made a big difference on the heat coming through. If I ever pull the engine, I’ll paint the engine side. Not the prettiest but it is effective.
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money

Question Re: Firewall insulation?

I would beg to differ with your TC friend.

Here is what the FARs say about firewalls:

§ 23.1191 Firewalls
    (a) Each engine, auxiliary power unit, fuel burning heater, and other combustion equipment, must be isolated from the rest of the airplane by firewalls, shrouds, or equivalent means.

(b) Each firewall or shroud must be constructed so that no hazardous quantity of liquid, gas, or flame can pass from the compartment created by the firewall or shroud to other parts of the airplane.

(c) Each opening in the firewall or shroud must be sealed with close fitting, fireproof grommets, bushings, or firewall fittings.

(d) [Reserved]

(e) Each firewall and shroud must be fireproof and protected against corrosion.

(f) Compliance with the criteria for fireproof materials or components must be shown as follows:

(1) The flame to which the materials or components are subjected must be 2,000 ±150 °F.

(2) Sheet materials approximately 10 inches square must be subjected to the flame from a suitable burner.

(3) The flame must be large enough to maintain the required test temperature over an area approximately five inches square.

(g) Firewall materials and fittings must resist flame penetration for at least 15 minutes.

(h) The following materials may be used in firewalls or shrouds without being tested as required by this section:
    (1) Stainless steel sheet, 0.015 inch thick.

(2) Mild steel sheet (coated with aluminum or otherwise protected against corrosion) 0.018 inch thick.

(3) Terne plate, 0.018 inch thick.

(4) Monel metal, 0.018 inch thick.

(5) Steel or copper base alloy firewall fittings.

(6) Titanium sheet, 0.016 inch thick.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Brian,
    The kitfox is a fabric covered airframe with a fiberglass cowl. If you have a serious inflight fire, dollars to doughnuts, the fire will burn through the glass and fabric before the firewall. My guess is that most kitfoxers wont be at 7 or 8000 ft and can get on the ground quickly.
    As for firewall penetrations, I opted to run all my electrics through a single mil spec 38999 connector. They are pretty reasonable in cost for the simplicity and security they provide. All my firewall penetrations are located between the foot pedal bump outs. I minimized my penetrations by mounting all sensors behind the firewall as well. My 2 cents...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Hi Phil,

I think you are more in agreement than disagreement with this TC. He's saying that in addition to a stainless firewall and fireproof penetrations, you should insulate the cabin. Side of the firewall to protect you from radiant heat. He cited the FAA design basis scenario of a 2000 degree flame for 15 minutes. The firewall will remain, but it will be glowing red hot, and cooking you. I do not find the design basis scenario to be credible for our airplanes, but it did get me thinking about my mode of mortality in the event of an engine fire. I would think that when firewall feedthroughs start to fail, the boot cowl is probably already burning, so the fire is already coming past the firewall.

Our kits come with plain rubber grommets for firewall penetrations. I can't even find properly sized fire resistant grommets. The stainless flanges with firesleeve and hose clamps are all I see for fire resistant feedthroughs. I feel like going great lengths to fireproof the firewall might be wasted time money and effort, but I also imagine my shoes catching on fire while I accept my imminent death and regret not having spent some more time, effort and money.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    ... I would think that when firewall feedthroughs start to fail, the boot cowl is probably already burning, so the fire is already coming past the firewall. ...
    My point exactly...

For high temp grommets check mcmaster.com
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Way back when I was building my Series 5, one of my go to publications was a 4 book series by a prolific builder named Tony Bingelis. Tony had a great solution, which was fabricating your own custom sized SS firewall pass thru's -which is what I did. Scrap stainless steel and tools you already have and you make your own to your specs. I highly recommend these books to anyone building as they were for me a tremendous reference library that I still use today. Check them out Bruce N199CL

I sealed my throttle pass throughs by buying Stainless Steel Flanges on Amazon. Cutting one side to get it around the already installed cable. Wrapping the cable and flange with firesleeve the wrapping with self sealing vinyl tape and closing with stainless clamps.
    I tried to upload pictures, but every time I tried to reduce the size, they were still too big. (.jpg files must be smaller than 97 kb.)

Ralph