Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Crash

Default Re: Kitfox Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Buchanan View Post
    ...I clipped an unmarked zip line with my vertical, tearing it and the rudder off which left me eventually flying sideways.
    Wow! That information disturbs me. Wishing the very best to you and understand completely the challenge dealing with such a loss but in that manner, I really don't know how I would deal with that. But, knowing you, I am sure it will all work out in the end.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Guy, Like the rest on this list, just want to add my prayers for your speedy recovery, was glad to see that you were the one doing the posting after seeing the photos of your plane. Sounds like you will find another horse to ride. Bruce N199CL

It is hard to believe anyone could walk away from that. Glad you are OK.

Guy, I modeled much of my engine install after your advise. I am so sorry for The crash and so happy that you are ok. If I can help in some way I will, I suppose first is to thank God and second is to start looking for a plane for you.
    My install is done and the plane is in final testing. Got about 10 hours on it. I like it. thanks for all the help
    I"ll P.M.

OK I owe you guys a story. It's not a long one because these things happen kinda fast.

So I'm returning solo from Osh. I just spent a couple of nights at my father-in-law's place in Fort Collins, CO and embarked early morning for Cedar City. After re-fueling and checking weather / TFR's / etc. at Grand Junction I head west down the valley at about 1000 AGL. Looking off to my left I see the Colorado meandering down a shallow canyon and think, "That looks like fun!". So I head over and begin hopscotching down the canyon, low when possible, but pulling up and over the human stuff, mostly rafters floating the river. (Yes, I try to stay legal these days. Too many cameras.)

On my last drop i fly right to river level (about 20') and right about then see a wire flash by overhead. Immediately I hear the "bung" of a sprung wire and get a mighty shake out of the airframe. Thinking "I hope that's a broken wire" I'm immediately discouraged to find the airplane starting to yaw left. Putting in a bit of right rudder, then more, then all, I get nothing. I then think, "Wow. This is going to really hurt." I might have even laughed. It seemed like I was in the air for only a few seconds until impact.

I don't remember any of that. Next I know I'm standing in knee deep water trying to get my personal stuff out of the baggage compartment. Looking at the remains I think, "Dang, how am I standing here?" The plane was a mess. After a trip carrying my stuff to dry land a raft hails me from up-river so I hang around to meet them. They're three young rafters from Gunnison out for a fun day dreading what they're going to find in the heap of airplane piled against the canyon wall. They said they were mighty relieved to see me standing there.

Anyway they did lots of first aid stuff, (though standing, I discovered later I was still a bit of a mess,) and hustled me down to the next landing, about an hour down by boat, where I was picked by helo and off to Grand Junction for testing.

In Grand Junction they found nothing obviously broken. The patched up some holes, big and small, then released met that afternoon. I flew home commercial the next day.

A commercial operator out of Greeley pulled the remains last week. I'm getting them on Wednesday. The motor's the big question, as I don't think I was savvy enough to pull the throttle before impact. Maybe I did, but I don't think so. (All three blades shattered at the hub.) So I'll have a pro check it closely. I can take them apart and put them together, but I'm not sure I'm up to close inspection. Besides, I'm invested and really want the engine to be re-useable; not a good combo.

So lessons learned? Sure. If you want to run a canyon, pre-run it at a safe altitude and hope like hell you see all the obstacles. Otherwise don't fly between fixed hard points.

So now I'm looking for a IV kit or project to rebuild my aircraft. I've decided to rebuild it largely as it was, with some improvements. Meanwhile I think I'll go back to flying gliders to keep my hand in.

Thanks again for all your interest and kind words. They were and are an inexpressible comfort.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Thanks for filling in the blanks Guy, I’ll reiterate that we are all glad you are here to tell the tail relatively unscathed. Looking forward to seeing you in a Kitfox again soon!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

As we all are, happy you are with us and in pretty good fettle after that unscheduled stop on and in the Colorado.

Hoping you find the right Kitfox project to return you to powered flight again soon. We, who knew the quality of your model 4, mourn it's loss along with you.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Yeah Guy, we are glad you are able to share the story. Only seen pics but, Steve, I miss it too.
    P.s. What improvements could you make Guy?!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Buchanan View Post

So now I'm looking for a IV kit or project to rebuild my aircraft. I've decided to rebuild it largely as it was, with some improvements. Meanwhile I think I'll go back to flying gliders to keep my hand in.

Thanks again for all your interest and kind words. They were and are an inexpressible comfort.

I have to ask, going for another Model IV. Is there a reason not to go to a 5, 6, or 7. I know in Canada I like the IV as it is registered as an Ultralight or Light Sport equivalent but in the US if your flying amateur built is there a reason to go back to the Model IV? Or is it your preference for a quick light nimble airplane ?
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I have to ask, going for another Model IV. Is there a reason not to go to a 5, 6, or 7. I know in Canada I like the IV as it is registered as an Ultralight or Light Sport equivalent but in the US if your flying amateur built is there a reason to go back to the Model IV? Or is it your preference for a quick light nimble airplane ?
    Kitplanes did a write up on just this topic:

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/30_6...x_20749-1.html
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!