Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Crash

Default Re: Kitfox Crash

Glad that you are OK.

Rick

So glad that you are well. Wish we were close enough to be of some assistance.

We often fly the Red River, north of Paris Texas. Just ton's of sandbars to land on. Last night we found someone had put up a set of poles and a volley ball net on one of the sandbars. Can't be too careful.

Regards
    Rodney

Thank you all for your kind words. It really does make a difference even coming from people I don't know. I'm very sad about the aircraft. I'm not ashamed to say that I loved that Kitfox and feel terribly guilty about destroying it.

The plane is being recovered and I will soon go back to Grand Junction to pick up what remains. As to my status - the day of the crash I felt pretty good. They checked me over carefully and were astonished to find the only damage a bunch of small holes and two big ones which were quickly stitched. Yesterday, however; well, you remember that scene in The Avengers when Hulk takes Loki by the foot and beats him senseless? Yep. That's how I feel. There isn't very much on me that doesn't hurt, but it's all temporary and I should be fine in a couple of days.

I'll talk more about the crash in a day or two, after I've written it coherently. It's no secret, since I told all to the NTSB and as far as I can tell did nothing wrong, but the short version is I clipped an unmarked zip line with my vertical, tearing it and the rudder off which left me eventually flying sideways. I'd never learned to do that so my landing was bad.

Thank you again for all your kindness. It really does help. More later.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

WOW! That's scary. Glad your OK! Hope your recovery is short.

Be well,
    Clark

Guy, it was so fun hanging out with you and Ty and his dad at OSH, so when I read of your accident just now my heart stopped!! But I am so happy to learn you are ok. Considering what you went through it is nothing short of amazing. Take care and get well friend. You had a beautiful Kitfox. But I'm willing to bet you will make an even better one

Paul Seehafer
    Central Wisconsin

Wish you well on your recovery. Hope you will be up in the air soon.

Searched out all the Kitfox while at Oshkosh and spent 10 minutes admiring yours hoping the owner would turn up. Beautiful airplane, but it can be replaced. That picture of it in the water and near the rocks reminded me too much of the icon crash in the canyon - no survivors. You made it out, and that is great. Wish you a good recovery.

As other have said, I too am happy that you managed to live to tell the story. And on that note, A big congratulations for mustering the energy to inform us all about your mishap and that you are ok. I can identify with the aches and pains in the days that followed - hope its getting better!. Having had an incident early in my flying career, I also know that it can shake your confidence and attitude to flying, but the way you are managing your 'debrief' is a lesson to use all I think - the most important things is what can be learnt from the incident - for yourself and for all of us here. Thanks for sharing.

I look forward to your further posts and wish you a speedy recovery.

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Best wishes Guy. A very scary situation indeed. Your friends and family are grateful today, enjoy the extra hugs.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Guy, I sent you a pm