Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Thread sealer

Default Thread sealer

What type thread sealer is appropriate for the wing tanks? I was perusing the final assy section and it recommends a “paste type thread sealant such as Permatex Tack & Seal 9AR”. Would this be acceptable for the fittings in the wing tank as well?

Default Re: Thread sealer

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    What type thread sealer is appropriate for the wing tanks? I was perusing the final assy section and it recommends a “paste type thread sealant such as Permatex Tack & Seal 9AR”. Would this be acceptable for the fittings in the wing tank as well?
    Yes... that is specifically what Kitfox recommended for those fittings in my manual. I personally prefer another type of teflon-containing thread sealant for metal to metal fittings, but I used 9AR on the fiberglass to metal fittings on the tank.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Just a note to ponder. My manual called for one product which is no longer manufactured. Unless the manual has been updated to reflect that, be prepared to Call John or Debra for the product they replaced it with. Sorry, I don't recall the name of the product I was provided.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks John. Going to try to find some on the way home from town. Hopefully Oreillys has some.

There should be some with your kit, but it may go by a different name. It's blue goo.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I found it in the catalog. It's Permatex 85420 Permashield Gasket Dressing and Sealant. It's included in the kit - orange tube.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks. I will go look for it.