Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, quick intro

Default New here, quick intro

Hi all,

I recently registered and also recently ordered a Super Sport 7 kit. Hoping it will be delivered around the end of the year.

I got my private pilot license a year ago and have about 100 hours in a C172. It has been fine but I am looking forward to the Kitfox.

I live just north of Indy now (Westfield, IN), but grew up out west in AZ and hope to get back out west one day. Looking forward to hitting alot of remote areas then.

I have been on other internet forums over the years, mainly for hot rods. I have spent a ton of time searching and reading threads on here, all while adding to a long list of supplies, tools etc I will need.

I am a CPA, but owned a machine shop for awhile and have built a number of cars over the years. I now own a 1927 Model T (Y block/C4/8" rear), 1930 Model A (48 flathead/39 trans/banjo rear) and an original 1946 teardrop trailer. This will be my first plane build, I do have alot of tools.

I am 47, my kids are almost all out of the house and now I have time and funds to do this.

It looks like there are a few folks in my area building one now that are on here. Hopefully I can buy a beer/coffee sometime and ask dumb questions.

Thanks all for posting on here, these forums are a great wealth of knowledge!!

Scott

Default Re: New here, quick intro

Welcome Scott,

You will find the Kitfox to be a great experience. With your background and experience, building should be natural for you. Flying the Kitfox I found to be easier than a Cessna, once you get tailwheel instruction. I first flew a Model 3, with barely 100 hours in my log and 10 hours for tailwheel endorsement. It is a ball to fly.

Enjoy your journey.

Ralph

Welcome aboard Scott.
    Congrats on your kit purchase. Like Ralph said, the experience you have should serve you well during construction.

We talked to several nice folks from Indiana this week at Oshkosh. Wouldn’t surprise me to see more kits heading your direction soon.
    Enjoy your build.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

If a ham-fisted idiot with a Dremel like me can get one of these things to stick together, yours should be a beauty. Congratulations and welcome.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Scott,

From your description of yourself and your mechanical abilities, you are well prepared to build your aircraft. I can relate to your activities with cars as I had previously built and painted several street rods and done I don't know how many engines. Aircraft technology is pure mechanics, physics and techniques just as building cars is and I think you will find transitioning to be a natural activity with a lot of interesting new things to learn (like how aircraft hardware is sized and why weight is important)

In the time waiting for my kit I found perusing the aircraft spruce catalog to be an interesting and motivating activity just for the sake of understanding aircraft materials and hardware. Also spent some time helping out an A & P with restoring an old short wing piper.

Another great point about choosing a Kitfox. I recall one of my EAA tech counselors raving about how complete the Kitfox build manual was - way better than most.

So 'ya did good!

Sincerely,

Dave
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Welcome Scott! I’m back from Oshkosh. Give me a call and I’ll show you my project.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Welcome Scott. That would be a good Kitfox build to visit Im sure.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks all. I am looking forward to the journey. I ordered the catalog.

Jeff, I'll email.

Thanks

Scott

Welcome aboard Meyer. I am starting my build soon also.

Joe

Welcome to the group Scott.

In 1986 at age 27 with a whole 87 hours under my belt I flew my just-purchased Avid Flyer (predecessor to Kitfox) and never looked back! Oh, and I had no one to teach me how to fly it as there were so few flying, so I went on my own. I remember it well, as compared to the Cessnas and Pipers I was used to the Avid was a real hotrod, taking off in 75 ft and climbing 1400 fpm, double or more of the others. I was hooked with the design, taking it home with a trailer hitch on the tail with the wings folded and put it in my garage for safe keeping between flights. It truly was a fantastic way to build some great hours in the air while having a blast at the same time. I averaged 250 hours a year back then, continuously marveling of my little planes capabilities.

Today I fly a Model 4 on amphib floats and enjoy it very much. It is highly evolved and immensely improved over my first plane, and the Super Sport you are going to build is further improved. These are great flying aircraft that are so much fun to fly you will probably never get bored with it. I haven't and I started in 1986, 32 years later And with your skill set I'll bet you will enjoy building it as much as flying it.

You picked a great aircraft design, and an equally great group. Welcome aboard!