Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flaperon Reinforcing brakets and a micrometer

Default Flaperon Reinforcing brakets and a micrometer

Can't get in the mood to go play with Hysol, so I was going to drill the three holes in the Flaperon Reinforcing Brackets (Yes, left side only).

The construction manual says,"Drill the left side P/N 12041.101 brackets to the approximate locations shown."

The illustration has two holes .463" below the top surface, and the other is 1.188" below the surface. From the left side, the first hole is .438" in, and the other two holes are 1.375 and 3.250. "Approximate" and three decimal places is confusing to me.

Can I put the upper two holes 7/16" from the top (.4375) and the lower one

1 3/8" down? I am guessing I just need to get them in the vicinity of where the diagram shows, not necessarily 3 decimals.

Steve

Default Re: Flaperon Reinforcing brakets and a micrometer

Are you an engineer or a draftsman? If so, I understand why the three decimals doesn't jive with the word "approximate". I don't think anything on this plane needs to be located to 0.001. The rivets just hold the brackets to the ribs, the location is not critical. The only thing I can think of is that you might not want to rivet too close to the capstrip to make sure that the bracket rivets don't interfere with the hinge bracket rivets later, but even that is pretty unlikely I believe.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I suspected that was the case, but as I have come close to making errors that would have affected later things in the process. I thought I should ask.

Headed out to drill holes approximately where they belong.

Yeah, I have avoided posing the question and have been bitten later to find out there was a much better/easier way to accomplish the task. Don't hesitate to ask your questions. You may think its dumb but almost for certain, somebody asked or wished they had. Everyone here is very open and eager to assist their fellow Kitfoxers. We all have something to gain from helping others avoid less than desirable outcomes. I am hoping for the day when EAA starts advertising for Kitfox as they do Van's. If we all help one another then the next guy will pay it forward too and then our KF numbers will soar such that I can buy KF apparel on EAA's website also. I think A Kitfox should be the next One Week Wonder at Oshkosh next year.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    ......... I am hoping for the day when EAA starts advertising for Kitfox as they do Van's. If we all help one another then the next guy will pay it forward too and then our KF numbers will soar such that I can buy KF apparel on EAA's website also. ........

And, we can all help out and do our part for the cause by doing a write-up/photos and sending it in to EAA for the magazine section "What our members are building and restoring"

There are a lot of people who have built very nice Kitfoxes; but, you seldom see them in the EAA magazine "What our members are building and restoring". (I realize flying our kitfoxes is much more fun that composition - but it is a good avenue to promote the cause)

If you write it up and send it in, EAA will publish it. It might not be the next day, but it will go in the queue and it will get printed
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN