Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STI Builders?

Default Re: STI Builders?

I have standard wings, QB, pre-rigged. I also had some additional work done at the factory to facilitate building in a 1-car garage. I did my right wing in 59 hours, and my left in 52. There is actually more work to do on the left, but the second one goes faster. It's hard to estimate how many hours of additional work was done by the factory, but I would guess it was worth 15-20 hours of my time. So, 65-70 hours per wing is probably a ballpark estimate. If you want specific tasks to complete, the manual is online.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Fair enough, has anybody done the Chromoly Streamline Wing Lift Struts? I cant seem to find much information on them. Sorry if the laundry list of random questions is out of place, I am new to all this and trying to visualize before finishing my final order next week

I can find the SS manual but not the STI manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Fair enough, has anybody done the Chromoly Streamline Wing Lift Struts?
    I wanted them, but couldn't justify the cost vs the fairings. If I were building an STi, I'd put that money into Shock Monster gear. You've already kind of decided that cruise speed isn't your first priority.

Forum member Floog has a pair. You might contact him directly for a first-hand opinion.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I wanted them, but couldn't justify the cost vs the fairings. If I were building an STi, I'd put that money into Shock Monster gear. You've already kind of decided that cruise speed isn't your first priority.

Forum member Floog has a pair. You might contact him directly for a first-hand opinion.
    Ok thanks, I talked to Brandon @ KF today and he cleared up all my questions quicker than I could spit them out

Build Update

I knew my RC tools would come in handy! Apparently you can only upload little pictures now???

We are onto the wings now. Don't have a picture but working on the fuel tanks now. Rib1 done, flapperon attach points done, attachment doublers done. Build is going good, just trying to stay steady building every chance I get. We are working on getting the firewall forward order as we don't want to be held up with parts. John and Thomas(edge performance) are working with us on what we need. We are going to run the Edge Performance turbo 912. Some ask why are we not using the 915? Well....edge performance turbo 912 is lighter and makes more power than the 915, so it should have some good performance. (and cheaper) Obviously lots of things to figure out, but we are up to the challenge.

New from kitfox, they now offer an extended baggage. They are going to trade ours out and we are going to get the extended baggage.

We are to the part of the build that we need some help on doing it the best way. We are building the wings and need to make sure we get everything in them that we need. We have decided to go with the Garmin g3x touch. Garmin pitot tube install kit from kitfox on order. I think we need to install the remote heading in the wing somewhere? Any input on the best way to do this?

Also we just received our Aeroled pulsar nav/strobe combo. What is the best way to wire these up in the wing? What wire should we use and what connectors? Best place to get the wire and supplies? Sorry I know there is a lot of questions any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 08-22-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Shielded wire and ground it back at the firewall not locally. There is a big discussion on this very topic in the electrical pages if you do some digging
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

SteinAir , California Power Systems (CPS) or Leading Edge Air Foils (L.E.A.F. all have the sheilded wires in the size you might need. All three companies are sponsors on TeamKitfox.com and all have great customer service.
    Wingtip lighting wiring is usually run through the inside of the back spars from the root out to the tip. This allows folding the wings without disconnecting any wires.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Doh...I just realized this is not my build log. Man I am not great at this posting stuff. Thanks for tips on wiring.

The AeroLEDs include a schematic for suggested wiring.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon