Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Float question

Default Re: Float question

Thanks again Paul. What do you know about he damage and repairs on the S7 CZ floats?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I see that plane a few times a year. He sometimes wins takeoff contest at one of our seaplane fly ins, so the floats work well. He has bed liner type paint on sides of floats which makes me think there may have been damage? But the more I think about that, he's a super practical kind of guy, so maybe he did that to avoid rash from docks? Best to just ask him if they've ever been damaged, as maybe they haven't been.

Phil,

I just noticed your Model 5 is Continental IO-240 powered. Is that the plane you want to put amphibs on? If so, what is your Kitfoxes empty weight currently on wheel gear?

I ask all that as empty weight plays a huge part in setting up an amphib and there is much more to know than when setting up a 912 airplane.

Paul

My current EW is 885, UL is 665.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

885 empty is pretty light for an Io 240 powered Kitfox if I remember correctly. I wish I could remember Paul Liedl's 240 powered Model 5 empty weight as he put his on amphibs and I think he was around 1250 empty by the time he got his Murphy 1800 amphibs bolted on. I remember questioning if the floats would be too big, but he said he needed that as he moved his gross weight to 1750 so he could have a 500 pound useful weight when on floats. Initially he was disappointed with performance, but eventually found the right prop and flew it a bunch of years. I can't find his telephone number, but he sure could help shortcut your process if you could talk to him. He is from Minnesota and used to be on our forum, maybe still is. I saw his plane for sale recently, maybe he still has the floats?

Recognizing a bit late that your Kitfox is Continental powered, I hesitate to be so confident in using those CZ 1300/1500 amphibs. They may be a bit too small for your plane with the Continental engine. I hope I didnt send you down the wrong rabbit hole. The 912 powered airplanes are what I'm most familiar with.

Thanks again. If I do install floats I really want something that will handle the 1550 pound GW. It sounds like you are saying the CZ floats work best at weights well below that.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Ironically, I saw the CZ 1300/1500 amphib floats for sale under a new name at OSH. And I also saw they are offering the floats in a 1500 and 1700 size. I do think the 1300/1500 would work with the larger engines, but the 1700 would be much better. Check them out at www.zfloats.com.

And if I can lay my hands on Paul Liedl's number I will get that to you. I'm convinced he could really help you by sharing his experiences with floats on his 240 powerd Kitfox.

Hey thanks. I took a quick look, the website doesn't have much info yet, but it does have a contact number.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    885 empty is pretty light for an Io 240 powered Kitfox if I remember correctly.

He said he needed that as he moved his gross weight to 1750 so he could have a 500 pound useful weight when on floats.
    I worked hard to get a low empty weight: Catto prop, B&C alternator, no vacuum system, Garmin G3X Touch, LED lights, etc. I would change to a Lithium battery, but I am using the Odessy battery in the tail to get a good EWCG.

Do you know how Paul Ledi was able to increase his GW? This is not something to be done casually. I know several manufactures that do a GW increase with floats. I would defiantly want to run it by the McBeans.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Hi! I'm the Paul that Paul S. is referring to. The EW on my IO-240 powered Kitfox V was 888 before the float installation. I equipped the plane with 1700 Murphy floats and ended up with a EW = 1187. I increased the gross weight to 1705 (1550 plus 10%) after some research and conversations with Ed Downs, then owner of Kitfox. As Paul S. mentioned I had to experiment with a variety of props before I got one that was satisfactory. The prop that worked for me is a Sensenich W74EK48. I still use that prop for winter ski operation and in the summer put on a 74EK58 for better speed (about 125 mph). If you have any additional questions my email is bizpaul@comcast.net.