Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fittings for pitot and static systems

Default Fittings for pitot and static systems

I'm looking for info on what builders are using for fittings on the pitot and static system plumbing. At the moment I'm looking at Nylo-seal but would like to get other builders experiences with these and other fittings.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Re: Fittings for pitot and static systems

Just used the tubing and fittings that Kitfox supplies in the kit; the static kit is optional and must be ordered separately. I don't remember the brand of fittings they use, but the have been working fine.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

David,

I did like Jim did for the pitot system; however, I fabricated the static port using an assortment of brass fittings, some solder and clever machine work, 1/4" compression fitting at the port and ran a 1/4" poly line for the static line which matched up with the tygon tubing @ the instruments and all passed the leak down test. A plus for the poly tubing is a person can see through it to check for water drops/condensation and it is really, really cheap.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I bought a static port off ebay and ripped all the broken aluminum metal off , the fit it onto a metal inspection cover. I installed the inspection cover ring on the left rear side of the fuselage(kitfox has a SB or SL that shows location).Then I ran plastic tubing forward to the instruments. WOrks great. Now the airspeed and altimeter dont jump around and read pretty accurate.

plastic fitting work fine and when you are done, smear a little silicion sealant around the fitting to seal them. You are dealing with very low pressures here but still you dont want air leaks

The option installation instructions are p/n 10105.000

The static port is pn 16011.101
    The backing plate is pn 16011.102
    Male elbow 94036.000

If you attempt to mate the lines to the fittings without the small inserts they will leak. Tightening won’t help. Do it right and no type of sealant is required.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Reason I asked is that I had been considering plastic fittings but was concerned about possible breakage on installation or leaks during operation so that’s why I looked at the Nylo-seal. I assume they are a compression type fitting which would give a better engagement and seal. But your info has changed my thinking a bit. I think using clear polytube so you can see moisture is also a plus. Some good ideas here. Thanks again.
    David
    SS7 Builder