On a recent trip (see report under 'Where I Fly') I had No 4 EGT sensor go, resulting in Lane A warning light flashing and the MGL screen lighting up red! After some phone calls, it was arranged to dispatch 2 loaners from our friendly Rotax people ( because they didnt have new one in stock they took 2 off a TBO engine). It was great they sent 2 as the first one didnt work!

Anyway, apart from the fact that I was in a very remote area of Australia that only gets mail via a truck every 5 days, it presented an interesting decision making process. In theory, the EGT sensor wont stop the engine running. However, the computer does use the info apparently to map the fuel air mixture. My advice was that running it with the EGT broken would probably result in a fuel burn of 2-3 lt more per hour, but not much else. However, I decided not to test this given that I as in extremely remote country, plus the fact that it would not have been very pleasant flying with the red lights flashing all the time - not to mention the probable agitated state of my loyal co-pilot all the way!!!

Anyway, we are back home now. This is the second EGT probe I have had go. they are not cheap items ( about $270 AUS) and I believe the 915is sport has re designed EGT probes. I am currently exploring if they will fit the 912 is Sport.

Although expensive, I don't think I will be venturing into remote areas without a spare in future!

cheers

ross