I fly my model 4 with a friend in his Carbon Cub and they are comparable planes when it comes to getting in and out of places. The 4 is an absolutely capable backcountry airplane. I have an 80hp 912 with a 2-blade Warpdrive prop and with me (about 190 lbs) and 3/4 fuel, I generally get off the ground in 200 feet or less, depending on winds, climb out at about 1100-1200 fpm, and can get in down and stopped in less than 400 feet no problem, usually around 300 feet, and that is with crappy brakes. I could probably get it in and stopped in under 200 feet easily if I had better brakes.

And as others have said prior, pilot experience plays a major part of whether a plane will do well in the backcountry.While I don't have a ton of hours, I have put over 100 hours in my model 4 over the last 5 months. It has a lot to do with being comfortable with your aircraft, which this plane has never had me feel otherwise. I absolutely love my model 4 and would only move up to a model 5/6/7 for the added gross weight if I ever HAD to have it for some reason.

Also, the 4 is a great crosswind airplane, have landed several times in 20+ knot winds and it has plenty of control authority. This plane has never had me scared on a landing, which I can't say the same for most of the other aircraft I have flown!