Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I be like Palmer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can I be like Palmer?

Can I fly like Trent does in his model 5 but instead in a model 4?

I have this idea that all the models after 4 (5,6,7) are all "Real planes" more inline with the super cub. The 4 seems to be more like a go-cart.

Default Re: Can I be like Palmer?

Let's see - same wing, same engine, same prop, 100 lbs lighter, or more - I always thought of a IV as more like a dirt bike, vs. a Gold Wing
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

The 4s are pretty light. just tight which I think makes it better for short stuff

https://youtu.be/xoLbVFPlwFQ

Trent wishes he could be like me in my IV...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post

Those are awesome videos! That looks like a pretty new IV when was it made? What do you got hanging on the front of that?

I'm hoping to have mine flying here in about 2-3 weeks once I get the trailer on the airport.

if you followed me around you would be saying you would want to be like me. oh oh did I say that. I'm absolutely crazy with my 4 and I've been told I fly it like a helicopter. ooppps did I say that.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I'm excited to get proficient in the IV. The performance numbers people are saying are promising. Just need to get some good big tires on it and hopefully got fly in the back country.

How do you guys think the little plane handles the wind?

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post

I think that's impressive, 900' with trees. But what looks even more impressive is your house. It's beautiful.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I fly my model 4 with a friend in his Carbon Cub and they are comparable planes when it comes to getting in and out of places. The 4 is an absolutely capable backcountry airplane. I have an 80hp 912 with a 2-blade Warpdrive prop and with me (about 190 lbs) and 3/4 fuel, I generally get off the ground in 200 feet or less, depending on winds, climb out at about 1100-1200 fpm, and can get in down and stopped in less than 400 feet no problem, usually around 300 feet, and that is with crappy brakes. I could probably get it in and stopped in under 200 feet easily if I had better brakes.

And as others have said prior, pilot experience plays a major part of whether a plane will do well in the backcountry.While I don't have a ton of hours, I have put over 100 hours in my model 4 over the last 5 months. It has a lot to do with being comfortable with your aircraft, which this plane has never had me feel otherwise. I absolutely love my model 4 and would only move up to a model 5/6/7 for the added gross weight if I ever HAD to have it for some reason.

Also, the 4 is a great crosswind airplane, have landed several times in 20+ knot winds and it has plenty of control authority. This plane has never had me scared on a landing, which I can't say the same for most of the other aircraft I have flown!
    Jared in NC

Flying: Kitfox IV Speedster, 912ul
    Restoring: Wittman Tailwind W-8, O-235

I know I'm a low time nobody by comparison to some of the real pilots out on this forum, but, well, ... thems fightin words.

I think of the Model four more like an MG sports car with wings. I have had both.
    I have a few hours in a Model 7. About 15 I think. I have about 70 hours in a highly modified super cub and about 750 hours in a Model IV Kitfox.
    I'll take the IV for performance any day of the week, but with the caveat that you actually compare mission profile with aircraft profile.

The seven is a highly modifiable and configurable aircraft with about six different ways from Sunday to be outfitted. Stol wings, standard wings, speedster wings skis, floats, wheels, taildragger, trigear, turbo, Rotax, continental, etc.

The IV, out of the box has a couple engines for options, Rotax or Rotax, or maybe a frankenstein version of power plants that outweigh the original CG hopes of the design, Its 200 lbs lighter and actually a little narrower than the other ships and it is a simpler aircraft in fit, finish and overall construction. It's my plane of choice because of overall power to weight ratio in its standard configuration, Carries its own weight in gross, flies as fast as a 100 horse SS7 of the same horsepower and its ... wait for it ... cheaper.
    If I had a 100k to drop on a plane, I WOULD buy a Seven and put it in the hangar WITH my IV. Then, and only then would I actually be King.
    So, ... no. You can't fly like Palmer in a IV. But you can fly like Franklin, and you can fly like crazy.