As a new Kitfoxer I attended my first Factory Fly-in this past weekend. It was my first chance to hang out with a group of Kitfoxers and absorb all things Kitfox. There was a fair representation of all models there and lots of friendly folks to talk to. It is simply an invaluable learning experience to be able to look at planes and talk to the builders about what they did and why they did it.

Interestingly I spoke with several couples who were there checking out the Kitfox scene (considering purchasing a kit)... smart way to research things and it shows the interest in the type. Every person I spoke with who was building, or considering building, planned to set their MTOW (gross weight) at 1,320 to be able to operate under Sport Pilot regs. The Kitfox really fills a niche here.

It was especially good to meet some of the folks who are already hanging out here on this forum and put faces with names: Dan Billingsly and Steve Kellander from Arizona, and Steve Wilson from Arkansas -- good meeting you guys!

I also got my first flight in a Kitfox. Thanks to John McBean for the ride in the factory Super Sport and to Steve Kellander for the nice evening flight in his Model 4. My impressions? No suprises, about what I was expecting, but (take this with a grain of salt) I think it's crime to NOT build a Kitfox as a taildragger... the plane just needs to have the little wheel in the back, seems part of its DNA. (please, no flames for my admitted taildragger bias, we're all free to like whichever configration we choose)

In all a great event and I'm glad I went. John & Debra did a fantastic job as hosts, it was a most enjoyable event. Here's some eye candy from my evening flight with Steve...

IMG_0270a.jpg

IMG_0259a.jpg