Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insurance doubled?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default insurance doubled?

I just got a quote for 1500.00 for a Kitfox IV with an 80HP.
    I have 800 hrs taildragger in that plane.
    I was paying 860.00 a year, was I just lucky? What is the norm for a KF IV.
    Oh, Im a sport pilot, the insurance guy said I was being dinged for that. I'm only half a pilot I guess. Suggestions?

Default Re: insurance doubled?

Mine doubled this year for no apparent reason as well. I'm with the Falcon ins. agency through the EAA. It makes me mad, it's just liability, I fly from my own strip, usually alone, and most flights I don't land at a public airport. Not much risk for the insurance company in my case. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Mine doubled this year for no apparent reason as well. I'm with the Falcon ins. agency through the EAA. It makes me mad, it's just liability, I fly from my own strip, usually alone, and most flights I don't land at a public airport. Not much risk for the insurance company in my case. JImChuk
    Sounds like your flying isn't too different than mine. Given that there is virtually no risk in the liability for your flying anyways you might consider "self insuring" aka none.

I probably would go without the insurance, but the lovely state of Mn (in collusion with the insurance companies maybe) requires me to have insurance. JImChuk

PS what really gets me is I'm partners in a Chief, I mostly fly my Avid since I rebuilt it last year, and also have the Kitfox 1 which barely got flown last year. The insurance for the Kitfox last year cost me more then the annual and fuel that went through it. No discounts for second or third aircraft like there would be with cars.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I probably would go without the insurance, but the lovely state of Mn (in collusion with the insurance companies maybe) requires me to have insurance. JImChuk

PS what really gets me is I'm partners in a Chief, I mostly fly my Avid since I rebuilt it last year, and also have the Kitfox 1 which barely got flown last year. The insurance for the Kitfox last year cost me more then the annual and fuel that went through it. No discounts for second or third aircraft like there would be with cars.
    That sucks. We don't have to have insurance but we have to be able to get it out of where you crash it. There's right around a 0% chance of damaging other people's stuff, but if I were to really bang it up, the helicopter ride out starts about $2k and quickly goes up with distance from town.

Has anybody that had their premium increase called their insurance carrier and asked for a specific reason why it went up?

The company I have been using shopped it around quite a bit. Montana Air is my broker and they found a company called aerospace who quoted me 1037.00 instead of 1600. I took it. My broker said if I was a private pilot instead of a sport pilot I would have the 850 dollars rate. I think I can swing the private for about what the next year premium will save.

Aerospace is underwriting my Kitfox and Global the RV6A. I’m 59 with lots of tailwheel time and the rates are still going up. Oh well......
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

matt.white@bwifly.com

Bill White gave me the best quote and currently has the policy on my Skylane.

Jay-

I’ve been paying about the same($1500 annually) but I always assumed it was the relatively low tailwheel time <400 hours in my case. 1200 hours total time, private, complex and high performance don’t seem to mean anything- what do you have your Hull value at? Mines at 30K.