Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tachometer Wiring

Default Tachometer Wiring

Recently my 912uls tachometer digital reading (Dynon Skyview) started going erratic at high rpms. It would spike way up and then drop back to normal, then repeat at regular intervals, triggering an audible and visual "Overspeed" warning. I went to the installation manual, and also to the Dynon forums, and discovered that this specific problem was usually caused by the lack of a resistor in the tach wiring. In fact, the installation instructions had recommended a 60k ohm resistor be installed in the tach wiring, which I had missed when I did my install. Don't know why it worked fine for 600 hours, then decided to go unstable. I installed this resistor and now everything is back to stable readings.

I just mention this, because it can be easily missed, and it seems to be treated as a recommended option, rather than a must do. For those doing your own wiring, just do it up front when everything is easily accessible. Don't know if this applies to other brands of engine monitors, but just a heads up.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Tachometer Wiring

Another great tip to remember.

Thank you Jim.

Joe G.