Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hanging Baggage (skis/snowboard)

Default Hanging Baggage (skis/snowboard)

So I know you can get a small hanging pod to allow extra storage - but I'm wondering about taking that idea and extending it to allow carrying skis/snowboard.

One of my main winter hopes is to be able to head to the mountains to snowboarding more often. The drive is long an on small roads much of the way. However, the baggage compartment is not long enough, and in my model 6 anyway, there really doesn't look like a way to extend it even just for a snowboard.

I think the board weighs about 6-8 lbs and skis probably closer to 10. Length would be about 72 inches.

Any thoughts about this? Should I not bother considering it or do you think it's feasible? Or maybe lets ask this differently... do you think it's a bad idea?

Default Re: Hanging Baggage (skis/snowboard)

The bush pilots in Alaska just strap things on externally (mindful of CG of course). I would think you could come up with a simple mounting bracket that would hold your skiis or snowboard under the belly, attached to the hard points that normally mount the baggage pod. Don't think it would be necessary to build a custom fiberglass belly pod to fit the skiis.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have a 7 that I extended the baggage. I would be very surprised if you couldn’t do it as easily as I did. Since nothing heavy was going back there, I used 7 ply birch and later epoxied and riveted some aluminum angle where I thought it needed to be a little stiffer. The 7 had tabs on the structure that I drilled into and added rivnuts

Also, I have been mulling a mountain bike rack under the plane for a long time...

------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks @esser. Yeah, with the 6 the frame internally is such that you don't get that nice option to extend. There are some angle braces that get in the way, as well as the single piece push rod. I tried. But i like that last pic! I think that's the way to go.

I'm thinking something as simple as 4 mounting/tie down points that just allow me to use a snowboard bag and tie it in place. Although stepping that up to a fiberglass "box" would be nice.