Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
By the way FYI, the SLSA's that Stick & Rudder uses have different flap notches than the SS7 kit plane. The SLSA 1/2 flap notch is not quite as much flap angle as the kit, and the full flap SLSA angle is definitely not as much as the kit. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure the factory can tell you. I trained at S&R and then came home and flew my own kit plane, and I know there is definitely a difference. At S&R we always used full flaps for landing; in my own plane I rarely use more than 1/2 flaps. I believe I was told the difference was to make the SLSA a little less aggressive and safer for newbies than the kit plane. I post this information because when people give their opinions on flap use during landing, you NEED to know whether they are talking SLSA or Kit. All of this only applies to the model 7; I have no idea the situation for earlier models.
That explains it , because on my Series 5 full flaps make handling very awkward. Roll authority and control harmony goes away with full flaps. I always use 1/2 flap (11 degrees) for takeoff and landing , but the next notch to full flap (22 deg) changes everything. If there is any wind or turbulence, positive control comes into question. Bruce N199CL