Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Getting ready to order

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Getting ready to order

Pretty sure the aluminum header tank is now standard Ken.

I would get the Kitfox Builder's Tool Kit if you do not have any aircraft building tools. All the reamers you will immediately need when you start building the fuselage are included along with correct size assortment of drill bits, clecos of various sizes ect. The Kitfox Aircraft website currently lists it at $399.00 for the kit.

You may not need the double pin door latches if going with the bubble doors.
    Check that out with Debra before ordering.

The fuel shutoff valve should be in the kit along with the turtle deck.
    My instinct tells me none of the vent parts will be standard with the kit as there are several ways to vent the cockpit now. You could ask Debra at order time or email her with any questions like that.

I am partial to the Laker Leading Edge option but it certainly is not a requirement for an incredible flying Kitfox. I just love the way a LLE equipped Kitfox feels especially in the low end of the Kitfox speed range.

Looks like a good list Joe. There might be other things that pop up during the build but Kitfox Aircraft can handle most of those for you.
    Exciting times just ahead for you. Congratulations on your decision.

****If you have to wait a couple months for delivery of your kit, see if you can have your build manual and maybe the PolyFiber manual shipped to you right away so you can spend time going over them prior to your kits arrival.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

That looks pretty similar to my order. There are a few things I plan to install that I didn't order right away, such as the cargo bay kit, and anything that would go on with or after the Firewall Foward. I did this for a couple reasons:

1) I will almost certainly have to order more stuff from Kitfox, so there's really no harm in not buying stuff a year before I need it.

2) 75% of kit aircraft are not completed by the person who first buys the kit. While I certainly plan on being in the 25%, so does everybody else when they place their order. So there is substantial financial risk in buying a kit. The more stuff you buy up front, the more you're putting at risk.

3) I only have so much space, so the fewer items I have to store, the better.

I do agree that the Builder's took kit is smart. I'd consider it a "starter kit". It doesn't have enough consumables to finish your plane, but when you're getting started and need a reamer, drill bit, paper cup, popsicle stick, etc, you'll have it, and know that you should probably buy more of them. But it will prevent you from being stuck waiting for something that you didn't know you needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post

****If you have to wait a couple months for delivery of your kit, see if you can have your build manual and maybe the PolyFiber manual shipped to you right away so you can spend time going over them prior to your kits arrival.
    I just went on amazon and bought the poly fiber book for about $13 I think. Kitfox has the manual on the website, so I just downloaded it and printed so I could peruse and make notes for when the kit arrives.

I have done the poly fiber book cover to cover, and have a game plan for covering and painting.

The construction manual has been nice to look at as well. Now that I have had a chance to read about rigging the wings, I have decided that it should be within my abilities and comfort zone to do myself. Obviously, it might not be the most current, but it gave me a chance to decide what options I wanted to order, and make notes to myself that can be transferred to the official manual.

I was happy to have purchased the Took Kit from Kitfox. The assortment of reamers, the long drill bits, the Cleco pliers and fasteners, and other items were nice to have.

You'll want to find a quality index of drill bits along with at least a dozen each of the #30 & #40. After tiring of dull bits, think about a Drill Doctor. Pleasant to work with sharp cutting tools!

A pneumatic rivet gun is very nice to have on hand. These items will be used fairly early in the build.

Building the Kitfox is a great adventure with wonderful support from both the factory and people on this site. Don't be shy about asking questions. My build has gone a lot smoother with this help. Enjoy the experience rather than focusing on the completion.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl

Thank you for the advise. It is greatly appreciated.

I have been sitting here at home making a list of the tools I will begin to acquire starting tomorrow. A drill index is on the list as well as a pneumatic riveter.

I had to smile when I read “enjoy the experience rather than focusing on the completion “. I used to build and fly remote years ago. I enjoyed the build as much or more than flying.

I have been watching your progress from the start. Nice work!

Joe G