Brad,
My only experience with building was in the 80's I bought a Sonerai II kit. It was somewhat difficult trying to figure everything out with no internet, no builders close by, paying long distance charges when calling the factory etc. This time I was determined to make it easier on myself so I did talk to other builders of each plane I was interested in, and actually visited Tom Waid (tropicaltuba.com) to look at his build and ask questions. With the Kitfox being around since the early 80's it just seemed like there were a lot more builders around and they have all been eager to help if needed. Also all the bugs have been worked out where a newer design will likely have some areas that need improvements. I also was impressed with the factory support. For example just yesterday I emailed Debra McBean with a question about static ports. In less than 30 minutes she emailed back with an answer. The Kitfox also seemed to be the most versatile plane out there with the best performance figures as a bonus. As far as flying I have had the opportunity to fly the tail dragger and tri gear with the Rotax 912 and Jaburu 3300 and they just are very stable, forgiving, easy and fun to fly. For me the flaperons are no issue they are just a different feel. As others have said they make it where the plane is almost impossible to stall. I hope this helps and good luck with which ever plane you choose.

Brett
mykitlog.com/bholland